2003 Matrix XR Clutch question

I just recently bought a 2003 matrix xr, and the clutch is bad (negotiated off the price of course). The mechanic said the pressure plate and throwout bearing are bad, so he is going to just replace the clutch. I am wondering if I should get this done right away, or if I can drive on it for a while. It is starting to make a grinding sound in gear and when i let the clutch out. Thanks. I love this car!!!!

Reply to
CanonLaw

If you don't mind breaking down going somewhere, let it go until it fails. Depending on the rpm of the motor at the time it fails, it could do damage to other parts costing you many dollars more. I'm being a bit sarcastic. I would fix it A.S.A.P.. IMHO.

Reply to
user

You won't love it for long if your transmission starts spitting out gear teeth like the loser in a bar fight. Replace the clutch now, and you won't be sorry (very sorry) later.

Reply to
mack

Mack's absolutely right. Get it fixed now. You have very little to gain.

And, I have to say, a grinding sound coming from the transmission is not a good thing to have.

Get the clutch fixed, before you're replacing the transmission.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Let's see....

A 2003 with a bad clutch.

Me?

I'd pass.

Sounds like somebody really mistreated the car....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

fix it or risk expensive damage. the noise means bad.

Reply to
someone

listen to the voices.

Reply to
someone

why? clutches wear out if it is driven a lot. it could have

100,000 miles easily.
Reply to
someone

Your car probably has 2 different related problems that may have the same root cause.

You did not mention mileage, but unless mileage is very high, 4 years seems kind of soon to need a clutch unless the previous driver was not very skilled at using a clutch or downshifted a lot instead of using brakes.

A bad clutch can eventually ruin the flywheel so you may need more repairs if you wait. If you are getting grinding sounds when you engage the clutch, the flywheel may already have some damage. If you are getting grinding sounds when shifting into a gear, the cause may be a bad clutch mater or slave cylinder, low fluid level in the clutch system, or, based on the need for a clutch on a relatively new car, worn synchronizer rings. If you have the transmission fluid drained and you get brass particles, the synchros may be worn.

Reply to
Ray O

my car has 63,000 miles, and the lady was one owner, in her 50s. She didn't really know how to drive a stick, so i think she rode the clutch way to much. My mechanic said it is just the pressure plate and throw out bearing. He did not say anything about the flywheel or anything else. i am taking it in today to get it checked out. ill let you know what he says. Thanks for all the replies.

Reply to
CanonLaw

wow, must have been some severe riding of the clutch. That's very early. How much is he charging?

Reply to
RT

yeah, lus.

Reply to