Code P1529

My Accent 2001 AT sometimes throws a code P1529 and this causes the CEL to light. It happens when I drive in stop go gridlock traffic. When this happens the car drives like overdrive is off. If I stop and restart the car, it drives normal but the CEL remains lit.

Any ideas?

Reply to
accent

Not sure what you mean when you say that in grid lock traffic the car drives like OD is off. It should. OD should not engage until you reach highway speeds. Perhaps you could explain that differently.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

P1529 is simply a code indicating the TCM requested a check engine lamp (and put the transmission in fail-safe -- 3rd gear only). Further clues as to the cause can be obtained by checking DTC's in the TCM (transmission control module).

Reply to
hyundaitech

Is checking the DTC in the TCM done with a different scan tool? (I just paid $40 to get P1529 code read)

Reply to
accent

Sorry. The problem begins in low speed traffic (thunking, rough shifting AT) ... after the car behavior on the highway is like driving with OD off. Apparently this is a fail safe mode.

Reply to
accent

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what the generics do. But the dealer tool can read any dtc in any computer. If this was done at a dealer, I'd recommend going back and demanding more information. If elsewhere, I don't know whether they have the capability.

Reply to
hyundaitech

The CEL has been cleared so it may be too late to get the DTC from the TCM. I may have to wait until the next incident.

Reply to
accent

Maybe, maybe not. If they didn't access the TCM, the code(s) should still be there. I'd expect that if they cannot read TCM codes that they also cannot clear them.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Elmer Fudd