Conned I think

Bought a "run out" special of a Bosch GT40 coil from local supermarket 'bout a year ago. Being involved heavily with electronics I thought I,d check the thing out against a standard coil to see what they changed. Somewhat surprised I found the primary ( 12 volt side) and the secondary ( ouch side) to have almost identical resistances/inductance to a standard coil!. To have more secondary voltage you either need less turns on the primary or more on the secondary (or both). I,ve got a suspicion the only difference here is the colour of the "sticker". John

Reply to
John

Sorry, meant this for a VW group. John

Reply to
John

Unless of course the wire size or core is different.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Measuring the coil ohms has nothing to do with the power it can provide.

The only way you're going to know if something has changed is if you install it and measure the output, the current draw (load), etc... There are several variables you can't measure with an ohm meter.

Reply to
Leythos

Too right, as previous correspondent mentioned resistance could be the same but having more turns of thicker wire.. "In circuit" test showed same primary current and current rise times into primary was all but the same.

Reply to
John

So, it could be More Reliable and provide the same stats.

Reply to
Leythos