Crane XR-i Points to electronic ignition. Anyone done this one before???

I just bought one and am not sure about installation. I understand it's just 2 wires, but in the specs, it talks about a 1.65L ballast resistor. WTF!?!?! This is going on a '69 with a 351W. Ford didn't use ballast resistors did they? I thought they used the pink resistor wire. I'm not even sure my '69 HAS a pink resistor wire. I haven't seen one in any of the wiring I've done in this car during resto. Anybody know more????

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

If it's a 12 volt points system, it has a ballast resistor... all the cars i ever 'helped with, anyway. For that matter most Electronics do.

And the term has nothing to do with what it LOOKS like.. it's what it DOES that counts. Easy to tell... voltmeter and ign on, ground negative side of coil, read pos side to ground. Should be about 8 volts... and SOMEWHERE up that wire toward the IGN switch, it should show 12v.

Turn key to start, the coil pos should read same as batt pos.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic