Coupe SE engine rev problem

I have a latest model Coupe/Tiburon SE 1.6 which has a rather annoying problem with regard to the engine revs. When decelerating under engine load (not braking) the car tugs incessantly and sometimes just carries on going as if it is driving itself. When you stop at a junction the engine revs rise on their own towards the red line. The only way to stop it is to floor the throttle which brings it back to idle. The car is fully serviced and has never produced a fault code when interrogated by the dealer. I have asked two different Hyundai dealers to look into the problem and neither seem interested once the readout has shown no faults. I asked an independant dealer to look at it and he admitted faults like this do not show up on the engine management system and he thought the problem probably lay within the engine management system itself, he also thought the problem was dangerous! I found on the net another post similar to this but on the previous model, it had received no replies (posted in 2002) but it did say the throttle sensor had been changed and had not cured the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
koreana

The throttle position sensor immediately comes to my mind as well. I'm not familiar with this particular engine setup for the tiburon. Does it have a cable from the accelerator pedal to the throttle body or is it electronically controlled?

As far as repairing the issue, the service facility will need some indicator of what the cause of the problem might be. They'll either need to be able to duplicate the condition and diagnose while it's occurring, or they'll need some information from the management system as to the nature of the problem.

Reply to
hyundaitech

floor mat? LOL...had a similar issue...just a thought.

koreana wrote:

Reply to
Humanvirus

Thanks for the quick reply.

The accelerator pedal is connected via cable to the throttle body. The cable is free sliding with no hint of any resistance. With the pedal not depressed the cable is slightly slack (which is as to be expected).

The carpet is well clear of the accelerator pedal (but nice try).

Reply to
koreana

In that case, the possibilities should be limited to the throttle position sensor, the idle actuator, and an intake leak.

Reply to
hyundaitech