Dead Accent '97

I did not use the car for a few months. When I got back to it the battery was dead. Probably a trickle drain somewhere. No big deal.

I removed the battery to take in for a recharge, was told it won't hold a charge, so I need a new one. Well, OK.

Now I have a new one in, the engine won't turn over. Just a click and that's it. My first assumption is that the starter motor has had it. But before I go on a buying spree, here is my question:

All these "newer" cars have computers. Could it be that after a new battery is installed something somewhere has to be reset, the computer rebooted, before the car can start?

Thanks

PS Yes, 12 years is very new by my standards. :-)

Reply to
Don Q

The starting circuit is separate from the computer. Use normal diagnosis for no-crank situations. Check connections at battery and starter. (Check the state of charge of the new battery, too. Maybe they gave you a dud.) Don't recall off the top of my head, but if you have a starter relay, check that as well, or check the applied voltage at the solenoid terminal of the starter and main starter terminal. In a few odd cases, I've even seen defective battery cables.

Reply to
hyundaitech

OK. Good to know.

Battery reads just over 13 volts. Can't read amps, my meter is one step above a toy. But all electricals work, wipers good, headlights really bright etc.

OK. Thank you very much for your advice. Very useful!

Don

Reply to
Don Q

It's difficult to check battery condition with a voltmeter because no- load voltage is nearly always within spec, even on a bad battery. It's likely you have a good battery, but just to check, read your battery voltage when attempting to start the car. Shouldn't drop below 10V or so.

Again, when trying to start the car, check the voltage at the starter solenoid connector and then at the main starter lug. Should be within .5V of battery voltage when attempting to start. If you have low voltage at the lug, you'll need to replace the positive cable. If you have low voltage at the solenoid connection, you'll need to diagnose the solenoid circuit.

Last, put one lead on the negative cable where it attaches to the transmission and the other lead on the negative battery post. Attempt to start. Reading should be less than .5V. If more than that, replace the negative cable.

If all the above checks okay, replace the starter.

Reply to
hyundaitech