Elantra Lawsuit?

I got a letter in the mail about a lawsuit for all 2004-2006 Elantra owners in the mail. Whats that all about? Is there a problem with my car I don't know about?

Reply to
Joe Hodgenson

"Joe Hodgenson" wrote in news:tiwBf.142235$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Not to be rude, but read the letter. I hadn't heard about it (my elantra's older) but read it and let us know, or at least post any links or case #s so that the rest of us can read it for ourselves.

Reply to
Richard Dreyfuss

It's a Class Action Suit dealing with the Passenger Classification System for the front passenger seat.

As suggested by the response above mine, read the letter

Reply to
Andy S

If it's the same one I got, it's about a malfunction with the passenger's side seat sensor for the airbags. In some cases, it will not recognize smaller adults, particularly if they don't sit squarely in the seat. Hyundai is offering a re-programming solution, but it may cause problems with child seats not being recognized as such. There is apparently no ideal solution to the issue.

I plan to object to the exhorbitant 1.2 million dollar attorney's fees sought in the suit.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Good for you. I keep wondering when people will wake up and smell the coffee and realize that the only winners in a class action are the lawyers.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

It was an odd letter/agreement.

The lawyers get more than a million dollars.

And you the consumer? Hyundai will reprogram your sensor for free. Which they have been doing. I think the class action suit specifies a loaner car during the service. And nothing else that they weren't already doing - there was a recall that updated the sensor software....

Reply to
comish4lif

re: air bag phenomena

I am herein soliciting comment in light of alleged problem with air bag sensor in Elantras.

Situation: A driver of a 2003 Accent was hit fairly hard (on passenger side front headlight/fender) by another car when turning left (Accent had the green arrow).

The air-bags in Accent did NOT come-out.

The Accent driver may not have been seat-belt-fastened.

If driver not seat-belted, then the air-bags can't/don't inflate (?).

Please clue-me (give me ideas) about why air-bags did not pop-out.

Is there such a relation between seatbelt & air-bag?

Reply to
Robert Cohen

You should not run around usenet trying to sound like a lawyer - or what you think a lawyer would sound like. Why don't you take your petty pursuits to a web site, instead of here?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

re: lawyer s**te

I asked a question, which has been on my mind for a coupla years.

It's really not that complex of a question.

I care for lawyers as much as I care for ...uh...nevermind.

BTW, how do you like your (apparent) arrangement with Hyundai, because you too sound like you're acting like one.

Reply to
Robert Cohen

Is the above an acceptable comment/suggestion for this generally harmonious, polite news group?"

If I publicly flame/cuss-out this poster in this thread, could anybody here blame me?

Reply to
Robert Cohen

Quoted text - it's an amazing thing. It lends context to a post. For me, I have no arrangement with Hyundai. I was simply commenting on a foolish post.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I find it perfectly acceptable.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Unless the car was equipped with side impact-airbags (I don't think they're available on the Accent), there shouldn't have been an airbag deployment in a straight side impact. The frontal airbags do no good in a side impact and they're designed not deploy in such a situation.

Seatbelts MUST be worn in airbag-equipped cars. Airbags are not called a "SUPPLMENTAL Restraint System" for nothing. There are large, obnoxious stickers on the visor to warm people of that and it's spelled out clearly in the owner's manual. There's a friggin' annoying light on the dash that warns you, too. How much notification do people need??? If the driver was not wearing a seatbelt, it would improve the gene pool if the accident prevents him/her from reproducing.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Annoying light???? The '06 Sonata has the most persistent, annoy you to death buzzer system when you don't put on the seat belts that I have ever heard in a car.

Reply to
Bob

I don't object to flames but I would point out that the sympathy here is not for lawyers. If you look at the decision that this thread was about the lawyers got a million for getting Hyundai to do something they were already doing. They get a million and get to sanctimoniously tell us how wonderfull they are while they tack a nice "lawyer tax" on all the cars Hyundai sells. The consumer get's screwed as usual. Most of us are smart enough to figure it out.

Reply to
nothermark

re: good answers, all

my inquiries have been addressed adequately

i subscribe to the n.g. sentiment about the legal profession, as a law school dropout myself

Reply to
Robert Cohen

Reply to
Jody

re: person's wreck injury

happened approx two years ago: got banged on face, bled some, seems ok now

Reply to
Robert Cohen

Robert, It's best to put on abestos underwear before posting to UseNet. Also use good newsreader software that comes with a handy killfile button for all the bozo's.

Reply to
Screwtape III

Reply to
Jody