Entourage backup sensor

One of my backup sensors is bad. I had the van to the dealer yesterday and after two hours, they came out to tell me that there appeared to be a scratch on the sensor and that it would NOT be covered under warranty because it was obviously from accidental damage. They tried to show me the scratch, but I couldn't see a thing. Then I was told that it would cost $250 to replace, mostly because the little trim ring piece on the replacement needed to be painted that same color as the van.

So I went on the HMA site and see that it should take about 10 minutes to remove the rear bumper cover and install the new sensor. And I can get a can of touch-up paint for the trim piece.

So, my question to Hyundaitech, is this really all there is to it? Does the sensor system require a reset or update when the new sensor is installed? Anything I might be missing?

Also, if I decide to skip the repair completely, is there any way to disable either the bad sensor or the whole system?

Thanks. Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

If it is truly accidental damage, that is one thing. If it is questionable or not visible, why not try another dealer? Did they charge you for diagnostics?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:IKQoh.3845$V91.223@trndny05:

My wife and I have no knowledge of being hit, and it certainly did not happen while we were in the vehicle, but there is a slight paint chip about

3 inches away from the sensor on the bumper. I see nothing on the sensor itself, or close enough to have reasonably effected the sensor. If that little chip is enough to cause the sensor to fail, then I will certainly disconnect it rather than fix it. Living in one of the densest states in America, there will certainly be more dings, dents and chips coming in the near future.

No, they did not charge a diagnostic fee. The next closest dealer is probably worth the drive, but they are crooks also. After that, I need to travel to either PA or South Jersey and I have no experience with either of them.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

If there's no evidence that this damage affected the sensor, I'm not sure why the issue isn't covered by the warranty. If you, too, doubt that the damage caused the issue, then you should open a case with Hyundai Consumer Assistance (1-800-633-5151).

To my knowledge, there's no way to disable the system, but I haven't particularly looked into it either. I'm not sure there's a single electrical component in this van that's not networked, so I try not to think about these things when it's unnecessary.

10 minutes to remove and install the bumper cover is probably a little light, but I haven't investigated doing this job, either, so I don't really have any opinion either way.
Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Alright, thanks for your input.

After digging a little deeper on the HMA site, I found the beeper as probably the most way to "disable" the system if I decide to go that route. It is located behind the lower dash crash pad, and it would seem logical that by unplugging that, I won't be bothered by the system. But I can't say for sure if the networking you mention will affect anything else....like maybe the side doors won't open with the beeper disconnected :-) You never know.

As to the damage, I would call it highly questionable at best. At the same time, it isn't clear-cut enough for me to say that there is no way the damage could have caused the sensor failure. Although the timing of what could have been someone hitting us, and the sensor failure, were not even close.

And so you don't think I am saying your job is easier than it really is, the "10 minutes" to remove the rear bumper cover was just a metaphor. Although it is probably possible to do it in 10 minutes if you have the experience of doing it a few times, I am sure it will take me quite a bit longer than that.

With all of that said, and speaking with my wife last night, I think the back-up system is a bit more important for her (it's her daily driver) than for me, so we are probably going to let them fix it this time.

Incidentally, the dealer I use is also a Cadillac dealer. They claim the sensors on the Cadillac's go all of the time at a cost of $750 each. And they take almost a full day of labor to replace. So I guess I am lucky :-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Did you ask the price for one sensor if you decide to fit it yourself? Gordon

Reply to
Spanner

"Spanner" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

No, but good question. On the receipt it shows the part as $140 and looking on-line just now in the DCS system, I finally found it for $142.39. So I guess ~$108 for labor and painting isn't really in excess.

Thanks, Eric

Reply to
Eric G.