Fluid on the transmission top

1999 Elantra. I recently found a paddle of fluid on the top of the transmission. It looked and smelled like transmission fluid. I dried it out but in a couple of days it reappeared. I saw a rubber cap in this area. It looks like it covers some kind of port. I suspect fluid is coming out of under this cap. I also checked the fluid level. It was a little higher then "hot" marks. The transmission was serviced last time by a dealer. I did not check the level as I assumed everything was done by Hyundai specs.

Could it happen that the leak is caused by excess of the transmission fluid? I will appreciate any advice.

Reply to
lenja

I would also check the power steering pumps and hoses for leaks as the fluid look very similar. A more likely scenario is one of the power steering components is leaking onto the tranny.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Indeed this is possible. The port under the cap is likely the vent. Check your transmission fluid level and remove any excess (or return to the dealer and have them do it).

Reply to
hyundaitech