How difficult to replace Elentra Transmission?

I have a '99 Elentra with a good body, AC, engine but the transmission is slipping a LOT... not drivable. The car is great basic transportation. I've replaced an engine on my daughter's Honda Accord but never replaced a transmission. How hard would it be to either a) replace it with another auto trans (IF I could find one in good shape... may be a tall order to find a good one for that year)

b) convert it to manual and put in a manual transmission for that year.

I would think that with all the electronics on that car and with the pedal cluster not being for a clutch to start it would probably be quite a chore to do option (b), but I prefer manual transmissions.

I am looking for options cause my eldest son is coming back stateside after his overseas tour of duty and the 2002 Elentra I am currently driving would make a good car for him.

I was impressed with the 2012 Accent/Elentra/Sonata but don't want to spring for a new car right now. Might consider a used Elentra but would prefer a less expensive option.

KWW

If you have the ability to do an engine swap, you can do a transmission. It is usually done with a lift though, but when we were teenagers, we managed other ways.

I'd buy a new car before trying to convert to stick shift. That can be very involved and may require a computer change on some models.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski