How do I prevent damage to the AC Condenser

Did an oil change today on my '06 Sonata, and noticed lots of minor damage to the AC condenser from pebbles, etc. At this point, it's just bent fins, and no real damage to the actual horizontal refrigerant carrying tubes, but there are a few small dents there too. The part behind the opening that's about a foot above the road shows the worst of it. This car is driven on real roads, not dirt or gravel roads. Is there something ready made out there (screen, etc.) that would go behind the openings in the from of the car to stop or reduce the velocity of the pebbles? I'd rather put something in that's designed for it, than making something out of screen, etc.

Reply to
Bob

Try a google search - or just go ahead and put a screen in there. Why would you be reluctant to do so?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'm not.... It's just that the mounting issues would have already been figured out.

Reply to
Bob

A/C condenser damage has been a common problem with Elantras. The simple fix is to install "Gutter Guard" plastic screen, which is inexpensive and available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I'm not sure how well it will fit the openings in the Sonata grill, but there are DIYs for installing it on the Elantra Club site

I found that using wire ties and stick-on mounts to attach them to works best.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

That certainly reasonable enough. I'd bet that for this particular fix you'd probably find yourself fixed quicker just by fabbing what you need. Could be wrong but I do like to be the guy that stands back in the wings sometimes and keeps encouraging that ya just do it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow