Time to continue the search, I think...

OK, I was supposed to get a call back by 6:30, over three hours ago on the CJ-7. I just now got the call. The guy said the owner accepted my offer of $3200 but wanted to keep the chrome front grille. I told him I was disgusted that he called 3 hours late and that my final offer of $3200 stood and I wanted the chrome grille, too, and also wanted to see the hard-top first that they claimed came with the Jeep which was NOT there earlier when I looked at it. Also told him I was prepared to pay $3500 before he called me 3 hours late. I said something about not liking to be "jerked around" and apparently he took offense at that. Too bad. I was ready to buy the Jeep. They were not as serious as I was. I'm still willing to buy it, but only on my own terms. I told him to tel lhis friend (the owner) "$3200, WITH the grille AND I want to see/inspect the hard-top now before handing any cash over." He was PISSED OFF to say the least. I don't expect to hear back from him. Oh well, there are plenty of Jeeps like that one for sale. This will just give me a chance to be more objective about the whole thing and maybe I'll get lucky and wind up with a better deal. :-/ I'm just a tiny bit pissed off right now.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:51:03 -0400, travis shared the following:

Oh, and if he calls back with an attitude I think I'll tell him $2,500 WITH the grille and after I see the hard-top. Delivered to a spot within 2 miles of my house. Yeah, I wouldn't want someone like that ot know where I live. This crap ain't worth the added blood pressure. Anyone got a vintage VW for sale that would make a good baja? JUST KIDDING. ;-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Thats what I would have offered when they called late. I am not a man of great patience.

How about a baja ghia ?

Randy

RSMEINER

.............You're no longer worthy........lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

And this is your beginning -- Karma

Timmy

Reply to
MN AirHead

..............I wonder if it'd be very hard to set a Ghia body on a jeep chassis? The track width of the jeep must a lot wider.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

http://63.230.74.177/cruises/lakeport2k/8/MVC-003F.JPGhttp://63.230.74.177/cruises/lakeport2k/8/MVC-004F.JPG

Reply to
Max Welton

Thanks Max. Now I want a new project :-(

Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

There's a lot of 'em out there. Not too many that were owned by little old ladies only on Sunday in the winter, either! Having had NO coffee or any other stimulants today, allow me to step (softly) onto the soap box simply to explain why I think you'd enjoy an older jeep. You apparently enjoyed building and tinkering with your LCB. Every time you built something new or modified something, and it actually worked the way you had envisioned it, you were like a proud new papa. You built stuff that either was not available or what was available wasn't fitting your needs. You seemed to love working on it and learning as you went equally as well as driving it and getting it all muddy. The older jeeps are very simplistic. They are not nearly as difficult to work on as your LCB was. You mentioned aftermarket parts. For a 1953 CJ3A, think of every other car in the world as being a contributor of an aftermarket part! Anything is adaptable. Think outside the box. You aren't limited (or shouldn't be after your previous experience) to buying bolt-on enhancements! Newer stuff where I live cannot be tinkered with due to all the laws. The old stuff - the sky's the limit as long as it's safe. I guess after tagging along with your exploits through your postings and website stories, I kinda "over-projected" myself back there. I remember all the fun I had working on my old WW2 jeeps (5 jeeps before I graduated high school - started working on them and driving them at age 10.) With what knowledge and experience you gained with the LCB, you could have a CJ3 stripped down to the frame in an afternoon (no exageration!) Whether you get one that has a Chevy V-8 in it, a Pinto 4 cyl, a Buick V-6 or ideally, a stock F-head

4-cyl Jeep motor, you can build it very easily into a real monster machine and just as easily switch it into something else. Parts are not as available as they used to be, granted, but as I said, there is no need to stick with original equipment at any level! As for where you use it - the pix you posted were neat. The playground where the LCB was almost at home, but lacking ground clearance and traction is definitely home to a flatfender jeep. One of my favorite memories with my GPW was going up into the Cascade mountains on an old logging road that all the 'binding' had washed out of (binding is gravel, dirt, sand - all the stuff smaller than a breadbox!) leaving the roadbed as monster rocks of washing-machine proportion. Add to it that on one side was a cliff a couple hundred feet down and the other side the cliff went up - leaving enough room for the track width of a f-f jeep. In low gear, low range, the jeep just crawled up, over and through all the massive rock pile for mile after mile. The climb was probably over 1000 feet per mile at its steepest. The agility of the older jeep and the visibility afforded the driver made it perfectly suited for such a situation. I had an opportunity a few years later to drive a CJ5 with a V-6 up the same road and it scared me so bad in the first section that I backed down and hiked in (fishing lake!) Yes, I've had jeeps buried in mud over the hood, flown off of jumps with 8-10 feet to the ground, been upside-down a couple times, done wheelies, driven with one side up in the air, driven where a passenger HAD to hang out as an outrigger to prevent rolling down a cliff - many times. It's all part of the bug once you catch it. I broke trail in the CJ5 for a couple miles in the area I grew up in - through snow that was about six inches deeper than the top of the hood! That was about midnight and it was powder snow - flowed up over the hood like nothing I'd ever experienced before. I've also been sideways at 80mph on I-90 on black ice - the short wheelbase fits the worn highway surface better sideways than frontways! As I was growing up, my "hero" was a jeep enthusiast - why he was my hero, I guess was because he had a neat jeep and could handle it off road better than anybody else in any of the clubs around the northwest - he was a drunk though and ended up killing himself and causing his best friend to be paralyzed for life in an accident at over 135mph in a CJ5. Anyway, I thought you'd like all the possibilities that are there with something older that are not there with the newer iron. Maybe you need to get that more recent stuff first, for a few years, and maybe you'll understand the passion that I had (have?) for old flatfender bobtail jeeps. I know you're very capable of figuring stuff out for yourself, but one thing to keep in mind is that every magazine and every book published by a magazine company depends on advertisers. The masses are the marketplace. There is a much smaller market for the down-and-dirty enthusiast - plus, they don't buy that much bolt-on stuff; they tend to build their own or adapt something else. Anyway, good luck on whatever you choose. It's been fun, thanks for sharing.

- Dave

Reply to
Busahaulic

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 01:21:38 GMT, "Busahaulic" shared the following:

I'm going on a 3.5 hour long road-trip on Saturday to check out a '76 CJ-5. 304, 3-speed... Nothing fancy about it. Excuse my political incorrectness, but it's got a very GAY looking Carolina blue paint job on it that I'll "fix" very quickly if I buy it. I talked to the guy on the phone today and after that conversation either:

a- he's a serious liar and I'm going to be upset TO THE SMALLEST DEGREE I CAN MANAGE when I get to where the Jeep is on Saturday after driving 3.5 hours to get there

or

b- he's a nice guy like he sounds and his Jeep would be very happy for me to rescue it from his garage where it's sat for the last two years, and at a VERY good price...and it's a perfect match for what I'm looking for. And I'll drive it home Saturday... I don't want to give away more details cuz I'm afraid someone will buy this one "out from under me." :-) Dave, I have absolutely no hard feelings against you at all. Nothing wrong with being passionate about vehicles you love. (But... Good luck explaining that to my wife.) I'm just not interested in Jeeps that are in the age range that it would require a lot of time and effort to track down parts for. Yeah, I like "fudging it" and coming up with stuff that works on my own, but it's like I said once before about the VW stuff. "I miss the 'driving' part of the hobby." I want to have fun with this stuff. It's my hobby. Hobbies should be relaxing. I'd like to have readily available parts for a vehicle that is widely known to be VERY capable offroad. I want to have a snorkel hanging off of my carb that's so tall that I could pass a U-boat at 30 mph while completely submerged in mud. Hmm...I wonder how my Dixie horn would do if it was completely under-mud... Anyway, I feel I've explained myself enough now as far as what my choice in a fun off-road vehicle has evolved into. So have you, Dave. Can we leave it at that? I promise I'll share pictures of the predicaments I get into with whatever I wind up with. No hard feelings. I never wanted there to be any. By the way... I feel like such an idiot (again) for blowing a gasket last night over that dude calling me over 3 hours late. I *vow* to make the whole buying process into more of a game than an ordeal. I've never been good with the whole negotiating thing. That's probably why I always wind up losing my @ss on every vehicle I own. It's just not worth it to me to "play the game" to squeeze a couple of hundred extra $$$s out of someone. Just sell the damn thing and move on. And I can't help it when I get annoyed by someone trying to make an extra buck at the last second at the expense of honor. I'd say I need to "judge not, lest I be judged" but I have a feeling I was judged and sentenced a LONG time ago... so.... what the hell. ;-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Regarding snorkels: The last one I built, I ran the vent lines off all the gearboxes (rear end has two vents usually, tranny and transfer case have one each [on the old stuff!], etc.) up into the roll cage so the gearboxes wouldn't suck water. Something often overlooked - hot gearbox hits cold water, the air inside it shrinks and sucks more air through the vents but now it's under water! I was looking quite seriously at a "Wombat" this summer. Maybe I'll do the "LCB" thing but with a kit car Wombat. That is, after I finish (?) Bussy!

Reply to
Busahaulic

Where can one see pic's of these different Jeep's ?? I'm thinking C3, C5, C7 etc. I have absolutely no clue about Jeep's....

J.

Reply to
BergRace

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:08:36 +0200, "BergRace" shared the following:

I hope to be posting some very soon of a CJ5... :-) But in the meantime here's a couple of Jeep URLs I've run across over the last few days.

HREF="

"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"HREF="
"

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 04:07:20 GMT, "Busahaulic" shared the following:

Hmm.. Thanks for that tidbit. Sounds like it would be worth the time (1/2 hour to do all of the vent hoses) and the money (less than $2-$3 for the tubing). My kinda upgrade. :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

I bet you could save money by yanking some tubing from your bathroom, I don't think anyone would notice :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan

HREF="

"

HREF="

"

Just a few eh? :0)

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Sentenced Hell!...................You Were Paragraphed.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®