Hyundai Elantra 2008

Does this car have a torque converter "lock out" at cruising speeds (like Toyotas do)? Also, does the engine have variable valve timing and a timing chain (as distinct from a belt)? I'm trying to decide between the Elantra and a Corolla.

---MIKE---

>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Reply to
---MIKE---

New Hampshire

Transmission has lockup torque converter. Engine has variable valve timing. Exhaust camshaft is driven by belt from crankshaft. Maintenance interval is approx. 6 years/90k miles. Check an owner's manual to be sure. Intake camshaft is driven by chain off exhaust camshaft.

Reply to
hyundaitech

It does have a chain now. Older models had belts. Check them out and you will find the Elantra a better value.

From the Hyundai web site: Continuously Variable Valve Timing modulates the engine´s intake-valve timing relative to the exhaust valves. The result is improved power and fuel efficiency at all engine speeds, as well as smooth idle.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

All Elantras still use belts.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Right, and that is mostly because that 2.0L engine, with the exception of some occasional re-tuning, has remained largely unchanged.

But tell me, Mr. HyundaiTech - is that belt a bit easier to change than some others, particularly like the one off the 3.5L Santa Fe listed in the post above?

All Elantras still use belts.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Absolutely. The 3.5 in the Santa Fe is the hardest timing belt to change, while the current Elantra is close to the easiest, if not the easiest. It doesn't even have a power steering belt to be removed.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Yes, they do. I'd have sworn I read that they changed from belts to chains.

I do see that the Sonata 2.4 has a chain though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, it does. I would not have bought it otherwise. I had one car with a belt and that was quite enough.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager