1994 Toyota Camry problems

Several months ago I brought my 4-cylendar, auto-trans camry to a local shop for major maintenance work (120,000 miles on it). After the work, I noticed there are new problems that I never had:

  1. Poor gas mileage: 15 mpg. (used to be 22+ mpg)
  2. Some noise coming from engine when accelerating.
  3. Some noise coming from rear (muffler side) when accelerating.
  4. Noticeable engine vibration when car reach 3000 rpm, especially in low gears.

I brought it back to the local shop but they denied any wrong doing and refuse to any further service to fix the problems. Here are the works they've done (listed in the statement.)

.Change oil & filter .Clean and adjust brakes rear .Drain & refill differential .Drain & refill radiator .Drain & refill transmission .Install air filter .Install fuel injection chemical .Install spark plugs .Replace brake fluid .Replace distributor cap .Replace fuel filter .Replace motor mount .Replace PCV valve .Replace radiator .Replace valve cover gasket .Replace wire - 4 Cyl .Replace cam & crank seales .Replace timing belt

Can any one know which part(s) of works causing the problems? The car used to run very nice untill the local shop ruin it.

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
HO

Those items seem like routine jobs required around that mileage. The vibration could definetly be related to the motor mounts. You may have to replace the other two also. My 94 Camry had problems with vibration for a long time that I never quite eliminated. I suspected the remanufactured right axle being out of balance but never replaced it again.

The noise from the muffler area could be a loose clamp, heat shield, or hole.

The remainder may be related to their work. I find it disconcerting that they don't even want to check to see what may be wrong. They may have left a vacuum hose or such disconnected. You may have to take it elsewhere and find out what is wrong then decide if it is related to the original shop's incompetence. From there you may be able to get consumer agencies involved.

Reply to
badgolferman

The timing belt was changed. Could something (valves) be out of time?

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Replace radiator and timing belt? No replacing water pump?

If they put a spark plug wire in loose, would this cause vibration too?

Was this an independent shop, or a franchise chain? Don't go there for service any more... tell all your friends / family to stay away from them.

Reply to
onehappymadman

Aftermarket ignition parts (spark plugs, ignition wires, and distributor cap from the list above) can sometimes cause symptoms 1, 2, & 4 in Toyotas.

Replacing the motor mount could also cause #4 if the replacement motor mount is bad, something is not aligned, or a bad motor or transmission mount was not replaced.

The exhaust noise is probably unrelated to the work they did.

Reply to
Ray O

Can you describe the noise in more detail? Vibration or something slapping/rubbing against a plastic cover?

Reply to
johngdole

It would be helpful if you quoted previous posts so people knew what you are talking about.

If you are asking about rear suspension noises in that generation Camry, people sometimes complain of a groaning, low-pitched squeak coming from the rear of the car when going over bumps. That noise is caused by the rear sway bar bushings rubbing on the sway bar. Remove the bracket that holds the bushing, remove the bushing, clean it up, grease with lithium grease or Ford bushing lube, and put it back together. This will stop the noise for a while, or you can replace the bushings - the replacement part should not make noise.

Reply to
Ray O

Thank you all for all the feedbacks. The local shop is the independent shop I found in Penny Saver. I thought it would be a bargain because of the printed coupons. It turned out that I was wrong...

More about the vibration and afterward:

  1. The engine vibrates when it reaches 3,000 rpm, espcially in low grears (accelerating on the road). However, when the car is in P (park) and I step on the gas pedal to make it reach 3,000 rpm, NO vibration!

  1. It's hard to describe the noise coming from the rear (muffler side). It sounds like "Po, Po, Po..." whenever accelerating. However, like (1), No noise when the car is in P (park) and I step on the gas pedal.

  2. Weeks ago I had Pep Boys to have the car tuned up. I also added the chemicals (improving-mileage formula) to the gas tank. None of them really improve the poor mileage (still around 15-16 mpg).

These problems make me think about trading it. I appreciate if any one can point out the problem(s) and suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

=====

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
HO

HO wrote: snip

snip

I can't speak for the Pep Boys in different areas but where I live they don't have a good reputation. I would suggest you get an independant shop that's ASE certified or a dealer to look at the car. It sounds like you're describing a misfire and these can show when car is under a load but not show when no load on engine. Dave

Reply to
davidj92

I agree Dave...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

As Dave suggested, you should take your car to the Toyota dealer or indpendent shop with ASE certified technicians. You will often end up wasting money by taking your car to a shop without certified technicans.

It sounds like an engine mount or transmission mount problem, the only way to tell for sure is for a knowledgeable person to test drive it.

See my answer to #1 above.

I have yet so see any additives actually improve gas mileage to a measureable degree. IMO, they're all a waste of money.

Things that affect fuel mileage:

1) Driving habits 2) Driving conditions (traffic, road, weather) 3) Tire inflation 4) engine condition and tune (cheap aftermarket plugs can cause a decrease in performance and economy) 5) transmission condition
Reply to
Ray O