Hyundai in the news

they're not going to survive. The history of new technologies is awash with "sure fire" companies that didn't make it. Personally, I can't ever see myself paying for radio.

There are ample statistics on the take rates of factory installed XM. We know, for example, that over 60% of people who buy a car that is factory equipped with XM will become subscribers. 40%, which you may be a member of, won't. Not now, at least.

The 60% take rate surely will not hold for Hyundai -- not because of the cars they're in, but because they are going to Standard Equipment rather than Factory Installed Options. But 50% is likely.

I've a lot of people say this until they try it. What most don't understand it that isn't "radio" in the sense that they know it.

Personally, I can't ever see MY self counting something that would make my work and drive time more relaxing out without trying it. But that's just me.

Reply to
frontmed

remember when having a radio (any radio) in a vehicle was a big deal. What I really want is a radio that does the same thing that TiVo does for my television viewing!

XM already does this. See

This is just the first release, however. Before the year is up you can expect to see more of this kind of functionality.

Reply to
frontmed

XM's monthly churn rate is 1.2%.

Reply to
frontmed

And what percentage of new cars are sold with XM? That 60% could actually be a relatively small number of people. Let's see how many of them are still subscribers after a year or two.

Dream on. I'll bet that it won't even be half of that.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

GM is factory equipping between 20 and 30% of its cars with XM, increasing quarterly. Honda is doing 400,000 units this year.

We have several years history on this. One quarter the churn rate hit

1.6%; but other than that one quarter, XM's churn has consistently been 1.2-1.4%. I don't know what could be clearer.

Well, I'd definitely take that bet. You have no basis whatsoever for your remark; meanwhile, there are a ton of statistics to support my assertion. 50% will be in the ballpark. 40%? 60%? Could be. But

50% won't be far off.
Reply to
frontmed

Interesting. I'm sure we'll actually see some of these features become useful as opposed to being minimally functional. (Actually, the SkyFi2 is closer to what I want... at least the seed is there.)

Reply to
Joe Kaffe

So, at a 60% subscription rate, that means only 12-18% of people that buy their vehicles actually become XM subscribers at all, let alone stay with it.

Right now, the technology is new and chic. That will change once the early adopters have had their fling with it. The turnover rate will increase, it's just a matter of time.

Considering GM's numbers don't come anywhere near that, I'll stand by my previous statement.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

by my previous statement.

WTF are you talking about?

60% of XM equipped GM cars become XM subscribers. I thought I had said that already.

There is no end to this argument. Let's just agree to disagree and see where we are a couple years down the road.

Reply to
frontmed

Apparently you are mathematically challenged. If only 20-30% of GM cars are purchased with XM (presumably because only that number want it) and only 60% of those become subscribers, then only 12-18% of GM buyers become XM subscribers. The fact that Hyundai is giving XM away does not mean that their overall subscription rate will be any higher.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

are purchased with XM (presumably because only that number want it) and only 60% of those become subscribers, then only 12-18% of GM buyers become XM subscribers. The fact that Hyundai is giving XM away does not mean that their overall subscription rate will be any higher.

If you can't see how screwed up your logic is on this, I don't think I can help you. Totally convoluted reasoning.

The "take rate" (60%) is based on the number of units in which XM is factory installed. NOT the number of vehicles manufacturered. One could reasonably argue that the take rate will decline somewhat, maybe to 50%. But your assertion is absurd.

YOU are calling someone else "mathematically challenged"??? LMAO.

Reply to
frontmed

You totally miss the point. I think you'll just need to wait and see for yourself.

Expect an Hyundai take rate in the 50-60% range.

Reply to
frontmed

I have worked in the computer industry since the 1970s and *am* a luddite. (I drive an AMC Hornet with a factpry AM radio and an underdash 8-track player. I peek in on this newsgroup periodically as the wife has a Sonata.)

As far as XM radio goes, not only would I not be willing to pay a monthly fee for radio, the whole idea of listening to radio programs from outer space coming from some kind of sputnik does not sit well with me. I remember when people who claimed they were doing this would be locked away in rubber rooms.

Reply to
pdp11

well my 2 cents ... ill pay for a head unit but will prolly never pay for radio unless the FCC dont bother with censorship due to "foul" language ... and even then i would find myself listening to cd's the majority of the time finding new music to listen too through friends (like xm has a real punk station)

also now lots of head untits you can purchase support .wma audio files which puts about 400 normal sized songs onto one cd ( about 1500 songs and thats if im remembering the numbers correctly )

so i would rather see .mp3 and .wma capabilities than xm on a vehicle

Lame

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
LameBMX

hey man ... i noticed your spamfighter add-in ... have you tried mozilla mail? it uses a very good "learning" spam filter, within in a month it catches some 99.9% of spam. i have been using it for a year now and havent seen about 10 messages i had to mark as spam in 10 months ...

>>NBC News this morning stated that Hyundai will have Standard XM radio>>in auto in 2006. But we still have to pay $12 a month for satelitte>>radio?

Reply to
LameBMX