Catalyst question....

I have a '97 grand cherokee, inline 6.

I recently got a actron scan tool! (Yippee! I think...) While checking for stored codes, I found that when listing the IM monitors, the Catalyst monitor comes back as 'not ready.' The others are either 'ready' or 'not applicable.' Unfortunately, the handbook gives very little info about the monitors. From the sound of it, I would guess this to be related to monitoring the O2 sensors, but I have had no error codes in the computer that would indicate a problem with them. (Or could it be no error codes because it is not monitoring them?) I have allowed the engine to reach full operating temperature, and driven it for about 10 to 15 minutes, and still get the 'not ready.' Any ideas, or has anyone had this problem before? thanks...

cal

Reply to
Cal

Mechanics are laughing themselves silly with the thought of the average person having a scan tool!!! ;-)

Likely the catalyst won't be ready until it gets 'really' hot, just a guess.

Mike

Cal wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

People who have been to school for electrical engineering or worked in the computer industry are laughing themselves silly with the thought of the average mechanic having anything like a scan tool. "Duh, the scan tool doesn't say anything, so let's try replacing the CPS. Hmm, that didn't do anything, how about the TPS? Maybe this guy needs a set of plugs or wires..."

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I thought that the O2 sensors would have to get pretty hot for this monitor to function. (hence, the reason I drove the vehicle to operating temp. Likely I didn't drive it far enough.) My fear is, in my area, our autos now have to pass the OBD-II yearly inspection ( this is new for us!). No insult intended, but many of the guys around here that do these inspections probably know as little or less than I do. (These inspection stations are at oil quik change garages, etc.) I would hate to fail one of these expensive inspections because of my or their lack of knowledge. (Yes, they did attend a class in order to conduct these inspections. But I refuse to believe that they can understand these pretty complicated systems with just a few hours of classes. Certified mechanics undergo much more difficult training.) I have had a good bit of luck using this tool with a couple other problems. I've helped friends diagnose and repair O2 sensors (connection just needed cleaning), clogged egr valves, and engine missfires. Although the "average person" probably shouldn't have a scan tool, mine has paid for itself at least twice. If you don't have a "auto zone" handy for a free scan of computer codes, then I would recommend someone with a "acceptable knowledge" of autos to have one. You at least know what questions to ask, and at the very least it can give you an idea of what a mechanic is trying to sell you on.

cal

Reply to
Cal

Reply to
A.H. MacIntosh aka USERNAME

That sounds about right too Earle...

If the computer don't tell them, they are lost these days...

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

"People who have been to school for electrical engineering or worked in the computer industry are laughing themselves silly with the thought of the average mechanic having anything like a scan tool."

Those same people "are laughing themselves silly with the thought of the average" person having a computer at home.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it :-)

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
Will Honea

We used to have a 'really' good 'mechanic' up at my local Canadian Tire.

Man if a CJ or YJ with a 258 failed emissions, he would suggest something and he was spot on 'every' freaking time! And we were bringing ones in that had the 'Nutter' done or no computer running things...

The dude was too damn good, some garage stole him away! Canadian Tire won't tell me where he went! Grrr...

Mike

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

"Those same people "are laughing themselves silly with the thought of the average" person having a computer at home" Just proving my point... idiots should not be allowed to own computers:

Joe

"disgorgement of ill-gotten profits and attorneys' fees. "

Is that "ill-gotten" attorneys' fees? The attorney's fees part of the statement says it all. F**king lawyers should have to pay costs when they lose. I'd bet that, if they did, you wouldn't see all those stupid "class action" suits, like when the stock holder sue a company for not making enough money.

Reply to
TJim