"Hyundai's Accent affordably decent"

Hyundai's Accent affordably decent Having spent the past decade rehabilitating itself, this Korean carmaker is now turning out some very decent product at a relatively affordable price. at

yared22311

The time to buy a new one: Imho: If you can wait toward the end of the year.

At the un-bait & un-switch type of close-out sales (of the dust catcher/shop-worn merchandise that costs the dealer interest-payments), and sometimes its hard to tell what the deception in the ad is.

One or two Accents (etal models)

--at a dealer--with automatic & air might become available at maybe $10,000 or less, as they have seemingly been in some past years--I've seen 'em for $8000 with air5 & automatic a couple years ago.

The trick/problem/gimmick/reality is that the dealer certainly needs to make it back, so the maintenance fees particularly at 30,000 & 60,000 miles aren't gonnabe such terrific ideal consumer bargains of course.

Think $500--$800 more or less for each 30,000 & 60,000 timing belt service.

Imho: to feel secure about the car's/your future, also buy their extended bumper-to-bumper service contract, $700--$1200, more or less I suppose.

Finance thru Hyundai's 0 percent or whatever, or perhaps through a credit union rather than the usual suspect banks in order to save a few hundred bucks per year.

It's a jungle out here, so bring your micro elephant weapon--more information and better resistance to intimidation & lies than should be allowed.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Robert Cohen

timing belt is at 60,000.

Reply to
nothermark

re: 60,000 miles is timing belt change (not 30,000 miles)

Yes, and at 30,000 miles, the required services would amount to approximately $400--$800. at a dealer service dept.

I've heard (hear-say) it's more expensive for Ford F p/up maintenance requirements, tough its something we customers don't like to think about w/o heightening of blood pressure.

If anybody reading this has some kind of link that compares servicing requirements/prices for the various makes & models of all or of many vehicles/models, then it might be "fun" & velly interesting to see.

nothermark wrote:

Reply to
Robert Cohen

What required services would add up to $400-$800?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I did not find the Hyundai list on line soI wouldlike a link or pointer if someone has one. I did find a brochure (several really) for various dealers. The one in Ohio that I read was 200 - 300 for the 30K service. Looks like the coolant change and Auto transmission oil change stack up. A DIY like me will do it for under 100 and probably under 50 as I don't buy automatics. That said I don't begrudge the dealer this price, he has to eat and pay his mechanic. A fair chunk is probably going for disposal of the coolant. 400 to $800 says you live in NYC or are being gouged. (Same thing, really)

Reply to
nothermark

Is this a serious inquiry: Because it's so wide open for some really bad jokes.

Let's look at the cashier tape:

The customary wage is something like $50 (whatever it is at the dealer) an hour for the labor itself:

Then anything touched by an experienced pro (or whomever they get at the rescue mission that morning) is gonnabe more $ than would be not paid by shade tree driveway fumblers who'll subsequently give-up f'ing-up after doing their collateral unintended damage.

For example:

I've tried some of the routine things with mixed successes, such as the simple changing of the anti-freeze.

It looks so easy, but why doesn't the new stuff not flow into the entire system--turn on the heater, dip-s**te--but is it actually circulating or what?

Ooops: That thermostat needs to be replaced, and ...I couldn't make a worse mess of the anti-freeze/water mixture than, say, a kitty cat lapping up the sweet spilled green poison.

I did an oil change of my ''76 Ford Grenada, and ....the oil filter is supposed to be screwed tight, which I had thought I did, but .... .

Spark-plugs & voltage regulator: I've played with a '68 VW van & the Grenada.

Brake: Who can't scrape a brake? Me and I ain't risking it.

So, I pay what they say, and feel good that the expensive s**te will be covered.

nothermark wrote:

Reply to
Robert Cohen

The cost comments were serious. The dealer quote was from:

FWIW - the shop rate is per flat rate hour and the mechanic probably gets about1/4 to1/3 of it. Depending on the work a good mechanic who is used to the vehicle can do seriously more work than the flat rate manual estimates. You are also paying at least 2x what the parts cost at the local auto parts store. Dealers get serious fines and costs for how they dispose of hazardous waste. Homeowners generally do not. The level of mechanical skill rewuired to do a tuneup is not high but vastly exceeds that of many folks I havve met. Some of them were professors I worked for.

;-)

Reply to
nothermark

I had my wife's Sonata in for some warranty work (CD Player) and the dealer suggested the coolant flush. The car was nearing 30,000 miles. The dealer's normal price was something like $80 for a coolant flush but I negotiated it to $50 simply based on the price that the quick lube places charge for a coolant service. It was a simple and quick negotiation.

I've read a lot about dealers in this forum, but I have to say that Fucillio Hyundai in Syracuse is very easy to deal with. I bought a blister pack of oil filters from them for right around $4 per filter (10 filters in the pack) and 10 crush rings for $1.79 each. Same thing - called up the parts department and told them what I found on the internet for prices, said I'd rather deal directly with a local business, and then asked them what the best deal was that they could offer me. They matched what I found on the net.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You do mean $1.79 for all 10 crush rings, right? If you paid $1.79 each they took you for a ride.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Where are you buying them significantly cheaper than that? Qty 1 pricing on the net is anywhere from around $2 to around $3.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Smee

Is this for the V-6? I paid much less for my 4 cylinder drain plug crush washers.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Yeah - the v6.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

OK, that explains it. I was thinking the drain plug crushable washers.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
nothermark

The price list does not specify aotu or manual. My Elantra is the Auto Trans.

Reply to
Smee

Yesterday I saw an 2006 lite green/sorta goldish Accent in a parking lot: Not a bad-looking car. Hyundai should concentrate on perfecting it maximally w/o changing the design, and I think it'll become the largest (in its category) seller in the U.S., as the Honda Civic became before Honda seemingly (stupidly) sort of weakened their Civic after it became a standard of low cost quality. My opinion only, and I don't pretend expertise--my subjective observation.

Smee wrote:

Reply to
Robert Cohen