HyundaiTech (and Owners of older high mileage SantaFe's)

Ive got a 2002 SantaFe, auto, 2.7 litre, 2 wheel drive with nearly 150k. m iles on it. Engine and Trans. operate just like they did on Day 1 , with no oil burning . Very few repairs have been made to the car.

Ive reached the point of ownership where i need to decide to either keep th is vehicle and drive it till the wheels fall off, or, to trade it in BEFOR E major engine/trans. work is needed which will kill the resale value if i ts got major mechanical trouble .

So, based on your experience of working with SantaFe's.....HOW LIKELY is m y vehicle able to go another 100 k . miles if properly maintained ? Thanks .

Reply to
ilbebauck
250k isn't very likely. It's possible, but not likely. I say this in general, not specifically in regard to the Santa Fe. For the most part, once vehicles reach much more than 100k, I don't see them in the dealership any more.

Looking around at the trades I see, there are a few that come in over 200k that are okay, and a significant number of the cars with 150k aren't worth fixing up.

Reply to
hyundaitech

on it. Engine and Trans. operate just like they did on Day 1 , with no oil burning . Very few repairs have been made to the car.

vehicle and drive it till the wheels fall off, or, to trade it in BEFORE major engine/trans. work is needed which will kill the resale value if its got major mechanical trouble .

vehicle able to go another 100 k . miles if properly maintained ? Thanks.

Very few cars would go another 100k. About this time is when things seem to start going. Not just the drivetrain, but here in the snow belt brake lines rust and leak, light fixtures corrode, the AC seals leak, etc.

I've never had a car go past 10 years and 150, 000 that was in fully working order. Some were minor annoyances like a faulty temperature gauge, or cruise control would drop out, or one of the heater vents stuck.

I'd check the value to see if it is worth trading or just drive until it stops. I did that with one of my cars. It has its share of minor problems, but the tires still had tread and the heater and radio worked. One day I left work, started the car, put it in D and went 3 feet. The car stalled, would not start. I just left it and took the company pickup home. Stopped and bought a car on the way home , called a scrap dealer to tow the old one.

Not sure how many miles it had as the speedometer and odometer stopped working at 185k.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

. miles on it. Engine and Trans. operate just like they did on Day 1 , wi th no oil burning . Very few repairs have been made to the car.

this vehicle and drive it till the wheels fall off, or, to trade it in BE FORE major engine/trans. work is needed which will kill the resale value i f its got major mechanical trouble .

s my vehicle able to go another 100 k . miles if properly maintained ? Tha nks.

Right now, everything works on the car except occasionally the automatic do or locks dont all lock by press of the driver door button . But other tha n that, im in Florida so rust is not a consideration / it gets better gas mileage than when new (21.5 mpg combined) / and has been pretty reliable. I think Bluebook price on the car is only $4-5,000 so im inclind to ha ng onto it . Plus i had it repainted a few years back so the paint is in t errific shape.

Thank you to both of you for your comments. It will interesting to see how many miles i can put on it . My friend had a 1998 Hyundai Elantra , 4 cyl, manual trans., which he put 270,000 miles on before trading it in ... and i t had the original clutch ! It was running very well at that point too.

Reply to
ilbebauck

locks dont all lock by press of the driver door button . But other than that, im in Florida so rust is not a consideration / it gets better gas mileage than when new (21.5 mpg combined) / and has been pretty reliable. I think Bluebook price on the car is only $4-5,000 so im inclind to hang onto it . Plus i had it repainted a few years back so the paint is in terrific shape.

The book value is more that I would have guessed, but I've not kept up with that.. Considering the new paint, the Florida lack of rust, it is probably a good choice to keep it going if you like the car. One big advantage is the lack of payments that usually goes with the new models.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

locks dont all lock by press of the driver door button . But other than that, im in Florida so rust is not a consideration / it gets better gas mileage than when new (21.5 mpg combined) / and has been pretty reliable. I think Bluebook price on the car is only $4-5,000 so im inclind to hang onto it . Plus i had it repainted a few years back so the paint is in terrific shape.

Florida might not have salt belt salt but they sure do have salt in the moist air from the ocean.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

door locks dont all lock by press of the driver door button . But other than that, im in Florida so rust is not a consideration / it gets better gas mileage than when new (21.5 mpg combined) / and has been pretty reliable. I think Bluebook price on the car is only $4-5,000 so im inclind to hang onto it . Plus i had it repainted a few years back so the paint is in terrific shape.

I am in TX and we have a 2003 Santa Fe with 178000 miles on it. I already bought a replacement timing belt and tensioner and was planning on installing it. The CV axle boots are getting worn and any day now will require a replacement of the axles (never been done on this car), and I suspect that ball joints/struts/bushings for the front end will need to be replaced. We park it in a garage so the paint and interior are good. Only electrical issues have been there for a long time (AC switch sometimes has to be jiggled, and the power door locks on driver's door...) I was thinking that if I put about $600 into the front end and the $125 parts for the timing belt that we should get at least another few years from the car. That would be equivalent to about 3 car payments. If the economy and jobs were not so tenuous as they are today and I knew we could get $5k trade from it I would be VERY tempted to get a good used or new smaller Huyndai, but we just bought a new Accent a month ago.

KWW

tic door locks dont all lock by press of the driver door button . But oth er than that, im in Florida so rust is not a consideration / it gets bette r gas mileage than when new (21.5 mpg combined) / and has been pretty rel iable. I think Bluebook price on the car is only $4-5,000 so im inclind to hang onto it . Plus i had it repainted a few years back so the paint i s in terrific shape.

Im encouraged to hear of your 178 k. miles on yours. I also looked at a ne w (2012) Accent GLS and was incredibly impressed with it. I came close t o trading my SantaFe in but the SantaFe was running so well that i changed my mind . However, i would like to know how you like the Accent thus far, are you getting close to the advertised 38 mph on the highway, how quiet i s it at 70 mph, and what dont you like about it ?

Reply to
ilbebauck

(2012) Accent GLS and was incredibly impressed with it. I came close to trading my SantaFe in but the SantaFe was running so well that i changed my mind . However, i would like to know how you like the Accent thus far, are you getting close to the advertised 38 mph on the highway, how quiet is it at 70 mph, and what dont you like about it ?

The Accent is great. As I may have noted, in the city I get between 35 and 37 MPG. On the highway I got a little over 41 MPG at "steady" 75 MPH (included getting to the highway, a few lights, slowing down to 70 occasionally, max speed of traffic 85) when I purposefully was gentle on the acceleration and glided decelerations. Otherwise would be between 37 and 41. Use of the AC seemed to drop it down an MPG or two. My Accent has the upgrade package with the larger alloy rims, etc. I have gotten used to the ride but think I would have liked the standard tires/rims since I priced it and would have saved $175 on a set of 4 tires upon replacement (if I recall correctly) at Discount Tire - Michelins for an Apples to Apples comparison. The ONLY other negative thing is that the fabric of the "premium seat fabric" doesn't feel as nice as the more plush Santa Fe seat fabric. I would have preferred gray but tan is the color it came with for the body paint color. Mainly I hope that it was properly scotch guarded because I can visualize what the arm rests would look like in 5 or 6 yrs otherwise. The center arm rest has fabric instead of vinyl - so will it stay clean? Something I THOUGHT was an annoyance has a "work around". The premium radio is very bright at night, but a button on the RH top blanks out the display unless you change channel or volume, then you hit the button again.

I really had to look for something negative to say... I am extremely satisfied with the car. I can't believe it is their "bottom of the line" vehicle. It is roomy and since the rear seats fold down I can haul larger things. I didn't like the rear visibility of the hatchback but the GLS (sedan) is fine. I might have preferred the rear door windows to not curve up towards the back so there would be even more visibility, but that is because I have very wide peripheral vision and like to blend mirrors with side glances. It is adequate but not optimal there.

KWW

Glad you're happy with the car. As for rear visibility, I think every car in the past 15+ or so years really suck for that. I bought a Sonata with the rear view camera. Fantastic. I won't buy another car without it.

The Feds are trying to make it mandatory. It goes against my Libertarian grain, but I hope it does become standard on every car. It will save lives too!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski