High mileage 300tdi - HELP

I have just picked up a 1996 300tdi 110 csw with 112,000 miles on the clock, the timing belt and pulley have been changed recently but I was wondering if there were any other things to look out for.

I have also thought about fitting engine performance mods with regards to bhp and torque, any suggestions.

THANKS ANYONE

Reply to
David Garton

Watch out for engine performance mods. Woops....... you actually want those.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:32:54 GMT, "David Garton" enlightened us thusly:

get the engine up to nominal performance helps.

Recent thread about 90s discusses ditching the cat from the exhaust.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

An amazing engine if you give it some TLC. Change that oil regular!

Engine wise, i have a 97 Disco with 240,000 miles on it. The thing to watch is the water pump leaking and also the water pump gasket. If you check the water and oil levels each day (OK weekly) you should save killing the engine by that one.

The Turbo lasted to 210,000 then got real noisy, still worked but i could not live with it. Timing belt and fan belt idle pulleys need to be changed occasionally (100,000)

Had the head gasket changed at 230,000 for the first time. The usual oil leak from the back of the engine.

Away from the engine. The gearbox is the thing that needs to be looked after. Be gentle with the gear change and build the power up gentle. It is not a sports car. Again change the oil regular, it's the blood of the beast

The Dampers(Shock absorbers) need changing around the 100,000 mark. They still work but the extra bounce ends up giving you a bad neck/back. This is true for all cars though.

Andy

Reply to
ntlworld