Hyunditech - 30,000 mile Check-up

So my dealer wants $500 for the 30K service!! The service includes an Oil Change, Air Filter, Fuel Air Filter and Coolant Flush but it DOES NOT include the supposed required Transmission Flush, which is an extra $150.

The Hyundai web site and manuel does say a Transmission Flush now but come on at 30K?

This whoile warranty thing seems to be a scam to me. They threaten that if you do not do all this then Hyundai will void your warranty.

What's the scoop Hyundaitech, what REALLY needs to be done at 30K?

Reply to
wolfcub27540

I suppose it would probably help HT if he knew what car you drive, and the owner's manual calls for.

I have an 06 Sonata V6, and for 30K miles, my manual calls for replacing oil, filter, and fuel tank filter. Nothing else calls for replacement. There are a bunch of inspections called for at 30K, and these inspections are very important. You can have them inspection done by any qualified mechanic that you trust (even yourself). Just be sure to document that you had it done.

-

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Inquired about the 30 k yesterday at our dealers. Charging 395.00 and was described by the service manager as the most expensive scheduled dealer service the car will have. Not exactly sure about all the specifics that are covered but Hyundai has two levels of service inspections and the 30 k involves both levels. ................Doc

Reply to
Dr.Colon.Oscopy

Hey Bob,

Look closely. Somewhere in the manuel and in the web site it says to repalce the Transmission fluid too but it is not easily found. that is the issue I keep running into. Each dealer has their own idea of what needs to be done, the manuel says something else and the web site says somethign else too.

Reply to
wolfcub27540

I hear ya.

I'm looking at the PDF version of my Sonata's manual, and it specifically says to replace it at 105K miles unless you have severe conditions (excessive idling, dust, short hops without thorough warm ups, etc), where it requires changing every 30K miles. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Bob's right, it'd help me to know the year and model of your car. If it's fairly new, here's what your owner's manual probably says you need to do:

-- Oil change

-- Tire rotation

-- Air filter

-- Inspect transmission fluid and change if necessary.

-- Replace coolant (for years 2005 and older).

-- Various inspections

If you're transmission fluid isn't yucky (and your car is newer than

1999, I'd say draining and filling (not flushing) every 30k should be fine. Technically, the manual indicates 105k is the interval for normal driving, but I'd feel much better with a 30k interval if it were my car. Heck, on my 1992 Taurus, I'm changing the fluid and filter every 15k just to see if it'll improve this horrible transmission's life span.

Coolant should really only need to be changed based on time. For 2005 and older, it's required every 2 years. For 2006 and newer, the first change is at 5 years, and then every two years after that.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I am sorry. It is a 2006 Sonata GLS (V6)

Reply to
wolfcub27540

I guess my other question is they claim if I do not do the Transmission then my warranty is void if something goes wrong.

Reply to
wolfcub27540

I had my 30K service done last week on my 2005 Santa Fe 3.5L

My total was $491 (including a $25 coupon discount) and included changing the tranny and differential fluid.

The list of stuff they did was pretty long (and labor intensive) and included cleaning and regapping the plugs.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Really. Void if you don't flush your transmission at 30k. Your dealer is lying to you. Check your owner's manual. You'll see that if you don't fall into the harsh driving categories they specify, your transmission service is not required until 105k (unless one of the 30k inspections shows that the fluid is in poor condition and in need of replacement).

One of the additional items listed in your manual to be done at 30k (I believe) is to replace the canister air filter. It's inside the left rear fender well by the fuel filler neck. If this filter clogs, it could turn on your check engine lamp and make it difficult to fuel the vehicle, but nothing serious would result. I think the reason it's included is so that Hyundai is covered in the event a problem develops due to failure to replace the filter.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Cleaning and regapping? I would hope they would just replace them if they went through the trouble of pulling them out. Probably cheaper than paying labor for "cleaning."

Reply to
Rob

Considering most plugs go 100,000 miles today, that is truly a waste of money

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I agree but paying a dealer to remove, clean and reinstall plugs is not going to be any less expensive than having them put new ones in. If you ever pulled the plugs on my 95 Ranger (4 cyl) you can bet new ones are going in.

Reply to
Rob

[...]

See now I am more confused because the manuel says cooant is not needed until 60K but you are saying do it now?

Reply to
wolfcub27540

Actually, they did say they would clean and re-gap or replace them, based on what they found. I assumed they didn't replace them as I didn't see the parts on the invoice.

However, the amount of zoom I got back after this service makes me wonder if they didn't just replace them. Didn't realize how sluggish it had gotten until I got the power back.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

If the plugs were replaced, the parts would have been listed on the repair order. Additionally, your plugs are platinum, meaning that the gap should never be tampered with. It's possible the dealer cleaned them, but I doubt it. What's the point of pulling the plenum off to do cleaning that will not affect engine performance?

Reply to
hyundaitech

Cleaning a regapping plugs????????????? I haven't heard that one in about

25 years. Run from that $^)(**&^ dealer as FAST as you can! You just got screwed. How was it for you??

Reply to
Tom
30K?

Reading this web site makes me wonder if I'm a little mixed up or what. I do most all of my own maintence on 02 Sonata with 71,500 miles on it. I have never even checked my transmission fluid. The underneath of the engine and transmission are perfectly dry and I assume it was filled at the factory. The manual says change it at 105,000 miles and I believe it.

I will change the plugs when the car starts to miss or the gas milage drops. That is the symptom of needing new plugs. The plugs that are used by Hyundai are top of the line and all the other car makers recommend changing at 100,000 miles or more. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I agree with others who say change the coolant every two years. I change the oil every 4,000 miles and think that is an overkill because it is still pretty clean at that time.

I have been driving and working on cars for 45 years and never had an engine problem except for Fords but that seems to be common.

In my opinion the engine is probably the best part of the Sonata. Some of the other systems seem to be not designed and built so well. My 14 year old Integra with 157,000 miles on it still runs great. I never add water or oil and have spent less than $100 dollars for repairs the last 5 years. Hyundai will probably never match that.

Reply to
southluke

"I do most all of my own maintence on 02 Sonata with 71,500 miles on it. I have never even checked my transmission fluid. The underneath of the engine and transmission are perfectly dry and I assume it was filled at the factory. The manual says change it at 105,000 miles and I believe it."

This is the only part of your post I have a problem with. You should at least check the quality of your transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. The manual says you should do that, too. While I'd change it every 30k if it were my car, I cannot say your idea to change it every 105k is unreasonable, either, unless the condition of the fluid dictates otherwise.

Reply to
hyundaitech

To make money?

Matt