30,000 mile service question (USA).

The dealer where I was getting my 2005 Forester XT (2.5 Turbo) serviced closed and the other dealer in town took over as the exclusive Subaru dealership in town. (Las Vegas, NV; Findlay Subaru closed, Subaru of Las Vegas takes over. Seems there wasn't enough business to support two dealerships). I had a lot of faith in the Findlay Subaru dealership, but not sure about this hew one. I called to check on what they recommended for the 30K mile service, Here is the list: oil change tire rotation replacement of air filter replacemnt of spark plugs

Service on; cooling system transmission differentials brake fluid battery

How much of this is "dealer profit" and how much really needs to be done. I have been getting air filter, oil & oil filter every 3500 miles, and tire rotation every 7000 miles. Desert climate is often dusty, summer temps reach 115°F and down to 25°F in the winter. Vehicle is rarely driven for less than 30 minutes at a time. The ususal assortment of stop and go, with several 4-10 hour drives at highway speeds. Absolutely no problems with the car since I drove it out of the dealership. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
QX

Make sure they indicate on the work order what work they performed , not like my dealer did just put "30K service" and not perform all the work and say they did.

Beware add-on items like the battery special services where they charged me and did not even leave any fingerprints or disturb the dust on battery terminals or caps.

When they charge me over $500 I expect to see a service report like this:

Battery voltage: 12.6v Specific gravity: ??? Tread depth on tires:3/32" and so on. At least I know the checked something.

I get more information on my Subaru at my Ford dealer who does my oil changes at around $23.00 using their Fastlane service.

Same on brake fluid change, no sign of ever opening the cap. Hard to change fluid without removing the cap.

Turbo does not list plugs at 30,000 miles as they are supposed to be platinum and changed at 60,000.

On the transmission/differentials they changed mine to 80W90 instead of

75W90 as recommended, and when cold the manual shifts like crap compare to the old oil. The factory says inspect the oils.

Make sure they use Subaru coolant.

Your best bet is to print the page above and tell them to follow the factory recommendations.

The dealer I went to, will never see me or my money again.

Blair

2005 Forester XS 5-speed manual

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Very easy to do yourself.

Not that easy with a horizontally opposed engine, but there's no way this should be done at 30K miles. Your's should come with long-life platinum plugs and at least a 60K recommendation.

Recommended at 30K miles.

No theoretical recommendation unless there's something wrong with the fluid. That being said, I do it myself and plan on 30K mile intervals.

Again - no set recommendation.

Good idea.

All they're going to do is test the voltage and maybe top off the water.

A ton of it is dealer profit. An independent mechanic won't typically pretend to charge for "checks" that many mechanics will do for free as a courtesy (if you're doing other stuff).

Reply to
y_p_w

Have traded with both dealerships , and if you check out the people at the new dealership, I think you will find out that most of them are from Henderson...had service there this a.m., and am happy with their service !...Gene 07 Turbo Forester

Reply to
Gene

changing the spark plugs on a flat engine is very easy. man hate to see what you call hard

Reply to
mpberti

I used to change plugs on a couple of inline fours. That was easy. I look at my WRX and the plugs are hidden behind assorted tanks and cross-members.

Reply to
y_p_w

dude jack stands and go underneath get a good set of sockets and a universal joint for your driver and your in business

Reply to
mpberti

snip

snip again

Where did you get the 300 degree universal joint, dude? The plugs are down in tubes thru the cam/valve covers and those tubes point UP.

Reply to
nobody >

They don't point UP (not to any noticeable degree) on mine, but perhaps the geometry has changed since 2004.

You need to move some stuff on a WRX.

Pull the washer bottle (and optionally the battery) on driver's side. Pull intake past the MAF hose on passenger side.

You don't really need a U-joint or swivel head ratchet IIRC. I believe I did some swapping between 6" and 3" extensions, tho.

I did it all from above. It's like changing plugs under a table top...you know what is there, you just can't see it.

The tapered lead-in for the plugs guides them right into the holes; I found getting plugs started was actually easier than on a lot of other engines, where I could see everything.

Reply to
CompUser