Questions on 30,000 mile service

Hello, I got a few questions about the 30,000 mile service. I have a

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0 liter w/Selectrac (part time and full time 4x4). It was purchased in early 2003 though.

I'm at 28,000 miles now and have 2 Jeep dealers nearby. Their service on most items is the same: oil change, change trans fluid/filter (not flush), check belts, hoses, PCV valve....check coolant and flush if needed, rotate tires, emissions, etc.

One big differerence is this:

Dealer #1 charges $479, but also replaces the spark plugs and "inspects basic idle and set engine controls to factory specifications".

Dealer #2 charges $359 and does NOT replace spark plugs but includes "perform throttle body-fuel inductions service".. What is that? Sounds like cleaning the injectors (?)

My basic question is this: Do you recommend changing the plugs at 30,000 miles? I'm quite sure I don't have platinum plugs and I don't think I've ever replaced plugs at 30,000 miles. The vehicle runs great and I want to maintain it though.

Also I plan to request a transmission FLUSH, even if I have to pay more. (I've done this on all my vehicles) Also, should I request 4x4/transfer case service too? This is listed as a seperate stand-alone service and charge. What does the 4x4 service get you?

Thanks!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Y.

Jim Y. did pass the time by typing:

It's not that big of a difference. More like one wants all your money and a reach-around and the other just wants all your money.

Useless overpriced service at just 30,000 unless your tranny got contaminated with water. That and there are cheaper places to get it done.

My 30,000 mile sevice consisted of the things I do anyway.

1) oil 2) filters (air, oil, and fuel) although your fuel filter is in the tank and doesn't need replacement unless it gets stopped with bad fuel. 3) xfr case fluid (two bolts, 4min job) 4) tire rotation 5) check the coolant, belts, hoses, etc.

That's about it. Save your money, buy the service manual and get your hands a bit dirty.

Here is a clue. I have over 120,000 miles, half under a blower, and the tranny has only had it's fluid changed three times. The diffs, once. The xfr case about five times (simply because it's easy to do) and oil every 3000-5000 miles with a fresh filter.

Most of the dealer suggested stuff is pure ripoff. They would have you believe your vehilce will fall apart without spending big bucks every year or so.

Reply to
DougW

Huge rip-off. Plugs shouldn't have to be changed at 30K miles.

And "set engine controls to factory specifications" simply means he disconnects the battery for about 5 minutes to reset the ECM parameters. All this does is makes the ECM "forget" what it "learned" about your driving habits and resets to default factory mode, after which it will "relearn" after about 50 miles of driving. What's he charge for that? $49.95?

Slimeball.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

A $6 bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank. He might actually open the hood a spritz the throttle body with some cleaner, but probably not. What's the charge for this service? $39.95?

Again, slimeball.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I think the 30K service is oil, suspension lub, aircleaner,plugs and possibly t/f case fluid

Reply to
Dave Milne

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

On most of my other vehicles (non Jeeps) I've not adhered to the maintenance schedule as closely.... tranny usually at 45,000 miles.

But, several Jeep owners I know-- some who have had numerous Jeeps, have said, by experience, that they avoided costly repairs by going by the maintenance schedules---- especially with the transmission and differential fluids.

I was trying to get a feel if these vehicles are a little more "high maintenance" than other cars/trucks.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Y.

I normally change mine at 50K.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Matt Macchiarolo did pass the time by typing:

I replace plugs every year (10,000 miles) basically because they are cheap and it's easy to tell any internal problems by looking at the plugs.

Reply to
DougW

Nothing's missing now. My Ford van called for new plugs at 75K miles. Technology has come a long way since 1953.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Only has about 37,000 miles on it anyway. Runs like a champ. It doesn't have mechanical fuel injection, the fuel cuts off when there is no power to the injectors. Like I said, we've come a long way since the 1950's, Bill.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Jim Y. proclaimed:

Spark plug replacement is in the FSM at 30K. So is drain/refill transmission and transfer case. And check the serpentine, which is pretty cheap to replace rather than mess with.

Pick up a Factory Service Manual from

Great investment.

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Uh Bill, is that a "Real" Jeep wave you're giving us there?

Reply to
Dean

Yep, I suppose the ECM is flashed to misfire at 30k just to remind you to change the plugs.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

No decrease in gas mileage, and yes, I will change them soon. If you want, I can fly you up here and you can change them for me...it's been unseasonably warm here last few days...today we nearly got up to 30F. Thursday it was 6F. :-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III