Lantra Immobiliser Queries

Hi, I have a year 2000 UK Lantra 1.6 GSI and need some spare keys cut. Hyundai quoted me =A385 for 1 key and need the car as well to reprogram it. Does anyone know if this car has 'rolling' codes in the transponder key? If not is there any reason why an existing working key cannot just be cloned without the need to reprogram the car? In what way is the blue 'identity' key different to the black 'master' key? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Ed Gasket

"Ed Gasket" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@n33g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

buy a "J"* immobilizer key from dealer, let it be cutted and then program it by yourself as follows: a) get blue key into steering lock. b) thrust it 5 times rapidly from off to on (indicators on, not ignition!) c) get every single black key into steering lock and thrust everyone 1 one time from off to on - first key, off/on, out, second key off/on, etc. d) check every key working (ignite engine, it should not stop within 5 seconds - if engine stops within 3/5 secs, it's not recognized and immo cuts fuel supply).

this - hope it's clear! - is standard procedure without hyundai scanner to let system recognize keys. check if your system has "J" key - J letter should be written in metal part of key, while M letter stays on plastic grip.

the blue key is different from other keys because it's the first key recognized from immobilizer system in the factory. it's the only one that cannot be deleted from system, while you can add up to 4 black keys.

ciao! buzz

Reply to
buzz

Wow ! Thanks 'buzz', thats really interesting. Turning the ignition on/off (but not starting the car) five times with the blue key must put the system into learning mode. This must be a secret Hyundai don't want us to know about? My keys do have the J on them, on the metal right next to the plastic key handle.

Do you know if a key can be cloned by a locksmith; i.e. an exact copy of a working black key including the transponder?

Reply to
Ed Gasket

a.f.a.i.c. key cannot be cloned, but i never delt with such things. i've seen sometimes some people try to take trasponder by cutting old grip and put it close to a new / or passive key. on the steering lock there's an antenna (part where off-garage-ig letters are printed), and this antenna catches the code stored in trasponder. there are no secrets about hyundai, this procedure is simply "unofficial" but always working, even if with hyundai scan you cannot register keys! it happened to me many years ago to replace an ICM (immo unit) and not being able anymore to register any key but the existing blue one.....well scanner did not help, but this "5 times" method did work! your immo system is old, recently hyundai changed to an integrated immo system and supplys only two sister keys, but old in this case means i.m.o. better. with new system it's impossible to record a key into system without scanner and a special code, obtain from VIN with an algorithm. regards, buzz

Reply to
buzz

The transponder in the key cannot be changed. What you're doing is teaching the car to recognize the keys you have.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I was not suggesting changing a standard transponder key, I was asking if it were possible to copy the key. I have heard that you can get 'blank' transponder keys and then a locksmith can program them to match a working key. This should work so long as the immobiliser does not use rolling codes where the code stored in the transponder changes everytime you turn off the engine. I assume the Lantra immobiliser does not have rolling codes.

'Buzz' can you please clarify, does : 'b) thrust it 5 times rapidly from off to on (indicators on, not ignition!) ' mean put the blue key in the steering lock, turn it partly on to the first position but not so that the the dashboard lights come on or does it mean turn it to the second position where the lights do come on on the dashboard? Should this be done as quickly as possible or just slow and steady? Is there anything else to do after each black key to tell the system there are no more keys?

Reply to
Ed Gasket

"I was not suggesting changing a standard transponder key, I was asking if it were possible to copy the key. I have heard that you can get 'blank' transponder keys and then a locksmith can program them to match a working key."

The transponder in the key cannot be programmed. That was the point I was trying to make. It's the vehicle that's programmed to read the keys.

Reply to
hyundaitech

yes, exactly. the blue key has to be turned 5 times from OFF to ON means dashboard light come on, without igniting engine. It doesn't matter if you do it slowly or rapidly, do it carefully. Then put black keys one by one from OFF to ON as above, do not ignite. When you completed with all black keys, try to ignite engine with every single key. As told before, engine should not turn off within 5 seconds, otherwise means key is not recognized and immo cuts petrol. Good Luck! Ciao Buzz

Reply to
Buzz

messaggionews: snipped-for-privacy@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Thanks Buzz, thats great ! By the way, I am going to try a cloned key as the local locksmith says he can copy my key including the transponder. Will let you know how it goes and if it doesn't work, I'll do what you suggest.

Reply to
Ed Gasket

Update on Keys:

I had a local locksmith make up 2 keys. These had programmable transponder chips in them so all he had to do was read my key and program the information into the two new keys; job done. No need to connect to the car at all. Cost =A355 for the two which is =A370 cheaper than Hyundai quoted ! I also asked about programming the normal transponder keys into the ECU using just the car alone as suggested by Buzz. Reluctantly the locksmith admitted that this would work; I guess the industry doesn't want too many people to know about this as they lose work if people program in their own keys. (Hyundai wanted =A345 to program a key to the car using Hi-Scan but it seems so long as you have the Blue key, you can do it yourself as per Buzz's instructions above).

Reply to
Ed Gasket