Need advice - 2001 Elantra GT - auto transmission only uses 2nd and 3rd gear -

My tranny operates normally when the car is first driven for 20 mins to an hour. Normally it will then be parked for 3-4 hours. When I start driving then, the check engine light will come on soon after starting to move and only 2nd and 3rd gears are available.

Dealer mechanic says it needs an "output sensor" to make it shift correctly.

This happened breifly @ 6 months ago and the "input sensor" was installed to fix it and it ran fine for 3-4 months.

Does this sound correct?

I am hoping to have the part installed also so the cruise control will work again (the part is in but it has taken @ 9 months to get it - I was told national back order ).

Reply to
Stanley P. Pickens

I had both the transmission input and output sensors break on my '01 Elantra GLS, the output sensor at 80k and the input sensor at 100k. That is definitely what it does (the transmission drops into a "fail safe" mode so that no matter how fast you're driving it's not as likely to damage the engine), although once it went bad, it would fail right away. It was the freakiest thing the first time it happened.

I can't image having to wait 6 months to get the part, that's just insane. It must have ruined your fuel economy!

Thankfully, if you can turn a socket wrench, it is a really easy repair to do yourself (which, combined with the free online service manual at

is a huge part of why I like Hyundai). You just gotta remove the air intake box, and it's sitting right there. (You can also then see that, when Hyundai got rid of the external transmission fluid filter, they left much of the casting for where it would be mounted in place. I find that kind of cute :) )

-Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Fedder

Everything sounds correct except the 9 months for national back-order. We've had them in stock at my place of employment continuously for about the last 3 years.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Reply to
Stanley P. Pickens

That was my understanding, and I was referring to the output speed sensor as being constantly in stock.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Is there a site to get the european version. I an in Cyprus and have a SIngapore import, would love to get the manual for it.

Paul.

Reply to
TheDragon

I don't know of any. This vehicle is global, so you'll probably be able to use the USA service information for a fair amount of things. These are the typical differences I've seen between U.S. and non-U.S. vehciles:

-- Engine

-- Fuel management system

-- Creature-comfort options.

The primary thing to keep in mind is to pay attention. If your car doesn't seem to be like what the service manual describes, you should probably presume this is one of the differences.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks.

Reply to
TheDragon

You have to watch that even repairing the "correct" vehicle. I kind of wish I had cataloged the discrepancies I've found :)

Reply to
Matthew Fedder