Re: 120,000 mile service

Hi all -

> > Just took my 02 Hyundai Elantra GT in for 120,000 mile service. Took > it to a highly-regarded shop here in Austin (NOT the dealer). Knew the > price would be high since 120,000 is a major service interval. Also > driving this car 500 miles a week starting mid-August and need it to > last as long as possible. > > The shop followed the Hyundai manual list, and replaced the following: > > Timing belt > Water pump > Plugs > Wires > Coils > > All this ended up costing me $1250 ($550 parts, $700 labor and taxes) > > Seem high? Need to know whether or not to take my other car there for > its 60,000 mile service. > > thanks - > > MM

Seems about right for that sort of service. My 60K on a 2001 Elantra was about $400 earlier this year, just the timing belt was replaced and a mini tune up.

Reply to
Irwell

thanks. always hate to spend huge $$$ on a car but I need this one to last (and I still love it, so there's that). Glad to hear it's not far out of the ballpark.

mwmosser

I'm astonished, I'd have expected a complete rebuild form the ground up at this mileage for a Korean car.

Reply to
Clive

Hyundai has improved considerably since 1988. Back then you'd be welding sheet metal panels to fill the holes too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The prices tossed around here for a timing belt is $350 to $450. The water pump at the same time adds $80 to $100. Let's take the high side and figure $550 total. That means plugs, wires, coils, cost $650 to replace. That seems awfully high to me but check out the cost of parts. A set of wires is probably $45, plugs about the same.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Just back from the shop. Some prices were higher than you posted, Ed, while some were lower.

High-dollar items were as suspected. Timing belt was $104. Wires were $86. Water pump was $170.

Low dollar stuff was belts, gaskets, seals. Various rib belts came in at $12-$14, total on those belts about $42.

Total parts cost was $555. $360 of that was just the timing belt, wire set, and water pump.

Labor was $634. Besides the fun job of replacing the timing belt and water pump, I had them do a valve check since I heard some whirring - sticky lifters. No issues with the cams which is good but of course once you pull that part of the engine apart, it adds $$$ to put back together.

Actually I am not upset. These guys are really very good and honorable. The prices quoted, while higher than they were back in my former home (Kansas) are in line with what I found.

I guess it's just something I needed to do, just wish I were more mechanically inclined (and had the time) to get in there and muck around myself. But my uncle the mechanic says don't mess with timing belrs - a bad job on an interference engine will end up making you wish you had taken it in to a shop the first time around. He's got a sign, and I'm sure every mechanic has this one:

Labor

$50/hour $60/hour if you watch $70/hour if you already worked on it yourself

:)

thanks for the input -

MM

Reply to