Re: 2001 Elantra overreving on startup. Anyone else have problem?

Hi Jeff,

Exact same problem here on a 2002 Elantra with manual transmission. I changed the throttle position sensor with no help. I can normally avoid the engine revving to high by quickly releasing the clutch just after startup (I always startup the engine in neutral). My theory is that the engine is having an extra load when the clutch is released. This extra load slows down a little bit the rpm and, for some reasons, the computer will finally realize this is idle condition.

By the way, I also find another "anomaly" which is maybe related to overrevving at startup: when changing gears from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to

3rd, the engine drops rpm slowly when warm. Does not happen when changing from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th or when the engine is warming up or when the engine is loaded with AC or rear defroster.
When I start my 2001 Elantra and it starts on the FIRST CRANK, it winds up > over 2500 rpm. > > If I'm careful to crank it for a fraction of a second the first time, > then, when it starts, it only winds out to around 1600 or 1700. > > Does anyone else have this problem? > > I took it to the dealer twice, but they couldn't replicate it, but they > can't replicate other problems either.
Reply to
It's me

Jody

It seems to me that you guys are complaining about the normal operation of the engine. Mine will spike to ~2500 rpm during a cold start, but it drops down immediately. Unless yours stays at high RPMs for an extended time, there's nothing wrong with it.

It's not an anomaly; it's designed that way. This is the throttle "hover" that enthusiast drivers are constantly complaining about. It does it in all gears and is actually dependent on RPMs, not the gear itself. I haven't heard a concrete explanation of whether it's an emissions reduction method or simply an adjunct to the equally annoying clutch valve to make stalling less likely in the case of a bad shift, but it's frustrating to an experienced manual transmission driver, as it make rev matching more difficult.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Mine will stay at ~2500rpm for more than 10s... it is very long and quite annoying at night for the neighbors :-( As explained in previous post, releasing the clutch quickly right after startup will fix the problem most of the time. When the trick does not work, I need to quickly put 1st gear and release the clutch a little bit while using the brakes to load the engine for a short moment. After that, the rpm drops to a normal ~1500.

I hates this kind of "feature". If someone is afraid to stall the engine, (s)he should buy automatic transaxle.

Reply to
It's me

Reply to
Jody

Reply to
Jody

Reply to
Anne Matthy

That sounds like a real problem. Take it to the dealer and demonstrate it for the service manager.

Agreed.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom