Removing Air Bag Light-'95 Elantra

My '95 Hyundai sat most of last fall and all winter and when I finally did start it the air bag light stayed on. How easy/hard is it to get the instrument panel out to take the bulb out? Thanks

Reply to
Hurricane1000

There's a larger concern.... And I'm not going to say that you should fix the airbags rather than hiding the problem. That's your choice as long as you don't sell the car, or let someone sit in the passenger seat without telling them. This issue is that the light could be on because of a detected problem with one or more sensors - maybe due to moisture in the wiring or firing module, maybe due to a short to ground in the harness to the squib, or across accelerometer sense in the sensor harness. Lets say it dries up or the ground or short goes away. Now the module thinks all's well, and re-activates trigger mode. Go over a bump, and the short re-appears. If you are not lucky, it might fire the airbags. Not cool if you are driving at highway speeds. False triggers have happened. A workaround might be to remove pow..... Never mind. Big legal issues to complete that sentence.

Reply to
Bob

It could be as simple as a problem with the wires under the seats (for sensors). Best to get it checked out. If you try to sell a car, they make sure that the SBS light comes ON at start and turns OFF after the other lights extinguish. Otherwise it indicates that the airbags are missing, damaged, etc...

Reply to
KWW

Yeah I think I'll get it looked at because it has to be something simple. Last year it rained a few days and the car sat in the driveway because I had another car. So maybe something did get wet. I thought the problem would clear itself up by now but I guess now. I drove it for about a month before the winter and it's still on. Thanks.

Reply to
Hurricane1000