Check Engine Light Burnt Out?

Hey all,

I recently purchased a '99 Max GLE. Due to an oversight, I didn't notice that the Service Engine Soon light doesn't come on when the ignition key is turned to the on position. What should I do about this now? Go to the dealer and have him pull the codes? Yank out the instrument panel and check the bulb myself? On a side note, I noticed this when I was going to check to see if any phantom codes were thrown(knock sensor etc.). While the original factory sticker covering the ECU was intact, there was no screw to be found inside the hole. I know on the 2000+ models they got rid of the ECU self diagnosis screw all together.. but on a '99? Am I just not looking hard enough? How much time/effort would it be to remove the instrument panel to replace/check the bulb? I have the Haynes manual.

Thanks, Erik

Reply to
Erik S.

'99 was a transition year so you might not have the screw. Do you have the wiring diagram? I would check the ECU pin that runs to the light with a meter.

-jim

Reply to
Jim

Actually,

I went to AutoZone and they hooked up an OBD II scanner to it for free. The dealer wanted $100 to just pull the codes! Well there were no codes returned, so that puts my mind at ease a little bit. I guess I'll just have to wait for a weekend free to replace that bulb. It doesn't look like it'll be that complicated, but it will probably take a while. If anyone's done this before, let me know how complicated it is.

-Erik

Reply to
Erik S.

Some 99s have 2000 ECUs. Apparently Nissan was preparing for the 2000 by putting a few bits and pieces in the 99.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Hi, It is NOT hard to get the instrument cluster out, and not hard to replace the bulbs.....I have had mine out numerous times for various reasons....there is a HOW TO somewhere on the net, I don't remember where right now. Just do a search and you will find it.

Maxima.org is the best place to search for this type of info... Good luck,

2Maximas

Reply to
Bitsbucket