Replacing lug nuts: need torque wrench?

A while back, I allowed some nitwit to remove my tires to check the brakes on my 2001 Accent. In the process, he damaged the chrome plating on several lug nuts, and now they are badly corroded. I'd like to replace them, but a lot of literature I read seem to say that an expensive torque wrench is needed to safely install lug nuts. Can't I just use the wrench in my trunk?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Wong

Hello Christopher,

CW> A while back, I allowed some nitwit to remove my tires to check the CW> brakes on my 2001 Accent. In the process, he damaged the chrome CW> plating on several lug nuts, and now they are badly corroded. I'd CW> like to replace them, but a lot of literature I read seem to say CW> that an expensive torque wrench is needed to safely install lug CW> nuts. Can't I just use the wrench in my trunk?

I am confused. You seem to have more than one issue here ... damage to chrome lug nuts, safely installing lug nuts and and expensive torque wrench -- all are mutually exclusive.

Get the lug nuts on eBay.

Use a torque wrench to apply the correct torque to the nuts.

Yes you can use the wrench in your trunk to install the nuts safely, but it is best to have a torque wrench.

Regards, Wayne Moses Houston, Texas

Reply to
Wayne Moses

A torque wrench isn't necessarily needed to SAFELY install lug nuts, but it is needed to PROPERLY install lug nuts.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

There are many things we don't "need" in life, but there must be a reason that any worthwhile mechanic uses them and why engineers specify torque setting for so many components.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:21:37 -0500, Christopher Wong posted:

What would you call expensive? I don't consider torque wrenches expensive.

On the other hand, why not just have a competent mechanic install some for you?

Reply to
Oleg Lego

Too much torque can shear a stud.

Reply to
irwell

plating on several lug nuts, and now they are badly corroded. I'd like > to replace them, but a lot of literature I read seem to say that an > expensive torque wrench is needed to safely install lug nuts. Can't I > just use the wrench in my trunk? > > Chris

I am sure some people will not agree with me but this is my take. The exact amount of torque applied is not as important as tightening all the lug nuts close to the same amount. I bought a Harbor Freight wrench for $11.95 and know it is not as accurate as a calibrated Snap-On but it gets me in the ballpark and helps at getting all the lug nuts tightened the same.

I think most of the problems came about from those 250 foot-pounds of torque applied by untrained tire changers. Sam's paid $135 to get one of my studs replaced a few years ago. Now they use torque sticks.

Reply to
southluke

Hello southluke,

s> I am sure some people will not agree with me but this s> is my take. The exact amount of torque applied is not as important s> as tightening all the lug nuts close to the same amount. I bought a s> Harbor Freight wrench for $11.95 and know it is not as accurate as a s> calibrated Snap-On but it gets me in the ballpark and helps at s> getting all the lug nuts tightened the same.

I agree with you.

That approach is perfectly fine. The Harbour Freight torque wrench is better and more consistent than the arm-method of judging torque, and has a better chance of even tightening.