Snow Tire Question, Please

Hello,

Live in New England, outside of Boston. So, get a fair amount of snow each winter, but not like Northern Maine, e.g.

Daughter in Law has a 2011 Hyundai Elantra, and a new kid.

She's very concerned sabout getting stuck in the winter, and is willing to get 4 new snow tires (the true snow's; not some all-weather version) and go thru the trouble of changing tires twice a year.

Would like to ask, please:

Tried to find some reasonably new issue of CR that rates true snow tires, but haven't been able to. Is there such an issue ?

and, the basic question:

Is there any brand and tire model that is generally thought of and acknowledged as being "best" in true snow tires ?

Opinions for her 2011 Hyundai Elantra would be most appreciated.

Any to stay away from ? Folks still go for studs ? Legal ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

You might also look at sites like discount tire and tire rack as they often have reader feedback on the tires they sell. CR highest rated snow tire is Michelin X-Ice XI 2. They also check rate the General Altimax Arctic and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 (nos. 2 and 3.)

Reply to
iws

All of the replies have some good suggestions so I'll just add my 2 cents. Studs are illegal in many states and, with the exception of driving on ice, will not be beneficial on dry pavement, which you /she will be doing the majority of her driving on (increased stopping distance and lower adhesion for handling). The tirerack.com suggestion is excellent as they usually have a good variety and most are consumer rated. Also the idea of going with a taller, narrower tire is good. I think you have a 205/55-16 so if you went with a 195/65-15 you would have the same rolling radius but it would be a narrower tire. My final suggestion would be to order a "package" of a steel wheel,the tire, wheel cover and TPMS. The initial cost of the wheel will be offset by not having to pay to get the tires switched every year in spring and summer.

Finally, although snow tires do increase performance, in light to moderate snow I have found that in deep snow driveability is as much affected by ground clearance and operator-ability as in tire selection.

Reply to
jp103

Should be spring and fall - Duh!

Reply to
jp103

tirerack.com used to have both test data on various tires, but specefic recommendations for tires, including winter tread tires for specific applications, such as SUV, pickup, fullsize passanger car, compact, sub-compact, etc.

Reply to
zayton

so true,once your bottom is hung up on deep snow it does not matter how many wheel drive you have.

also with my own daughter, the winter before she started winter driving,i took her to a large empty unplowed lot and let her find out how the car feels in a skid and how to come out of it.some people are terrified of winter driving but confidence and reading conditions will go a long way twords keeping safe.

a good set of winter tires and confidence in the car and your abilities goes a long way.

my only advice to her was not to drive in freezing rain if at all possible. jeff

Reply to
<me