suggestion for better head lights Sonata08

The lights on the 2.4 Sonata Elite are ok However, with shorter daylight hours soon to arrive in the southern hemisphere 40% of my driving in remote areas full of wild life and stock

would like some extra range on the lights

Due to cooling and aesthetics ,not to mentions stones etc on the dirt roads not keen in hanging a set of cibies or Nava spots on the front

Any suggestions as to increasing the candle power without melting the head light surrounds and plastic reflectors ?

Cheers P

Reply to
phil..c

After going through a dozen or so H7 bulbs in a year (2002 XG350), I bought a cheep HID kit off Ebay for around $50 from Hong Kong. It involves HID bulbs and a pair of ballasts. The HID bulbs have no filament, so they are much tougher than the regular bulbs. And the light output is fantastic. They install pretty easy, and you should be able to install things so, in case of failure, the ballasts can unplug and the old bulbs can go back in. I did have some problems with mine: everything worked great for about a week and then one of the ballasts shorted, taking the headlight fuse with it (no headlights). Removing the bad ballast, putting a normal bulb back in, and replacing a fuse got the headlights working again. I was able to get a replacement ballast in a month or so (the hardest part was finding out who to contact). Its been a year since the replacement ballast went in, and I have not had any problems with them. If anything fails in the future, I will just buy another set as they are dirt cheep for a HID system. I bought the 5000k color and I think its great. Most of my driving is city and mine are installed on the low beam headlights. You might want to consider doing the high beam headlights?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Kuechle

Thanks Dan for your reply. When next down in the big smoke or up in Asia again ( 3 days) I shall sniff out suitable bits as you suggest with back up in case we lose lights in the middle of nowhere .

On way through will show your post to dealer service centre and check if warranty is voided or not by such as you suggest

If it is then only recourse is to hang spots on the vehicle . Not sure a Sonata trying to look like John Lennon is all that smart :)

Cheers P

Dan Kuechle wrote:

Reply to
phil..c