TDC 99 Sonata help!!!

Hello,

99 sonata v6 2.5 I do have a problem.... Being that my cams are directly opposite of TDC and my Timing mark on the crank is directly opposite of the TDC mark as well.... HOW do I get the timing alingned?

How do I know when the crank is at TDC? Even if it is at the mark, it could still be wrong (not at TDC..) Should I take the plug out of # 1 to see when the cylinder comes to the top? I am lost now (doesn't the crank make 2 revolutions per each cam gear?).....

I feel sick over this now!!!

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

Reply to
99trooper

Ok, I'm thinking of this now...

TDC on the crankshaft is TDC on cylinder 1 ALL the time the mark on the shaft is in line with the TDC mark on the engine right? (the shaft is 1 piece that for every revolution pushes the #1 cylinder to the top when it is on the TDC timing mark- on the CRANKSHAFT).

The dillema is the CAMSHAFT gears that I have to line the Timing marks on once the CRANKSHAFT is at TDC timing... What can I do?

Thanks

Reply to
99trooper

When #1 Cylinder is at TDC, shouldn't the intake valve(s) be wide open, and the exhaust valve(s) closed? Or I guess maybe that should be the other way around. Just a thought.

Reply to
green99

Just line up the timing marks on all the sprockets to the marks on the heads/block.

Reply to
hyundaitech

There is no timing belt on now....Don't I have to turn the CRANKSHAFT back (counter clockwise) a couple teeth, and then move the CAMSHAFT clockwise the same amount of teeth? Or can I move any of them freely without worring about hitting the valves to the cylinder while lining up the marks (it is pretty far out now.. the cam timing marks are on the opposite side of the cam gear now, and the crank mark is on the opposite side of that gear as well.)

Reply to
99trooper

sounds like you do it by feel. move the crank some, if it binds then rotate the cams to clear the offending valves. repeat unitl they are all lined up.

Reply to
nothermark

Do make sure you don't put undue force on anything. It should be easy to tell if something bad is happening. It'll get nearly impossible to turn very quickly.

Reply to
hyundaitech

At TDC, both valves should be closed. TDC is the point where the highest compression would take place if the cylinder did not fire. Firing usually occurs a few degrees Before TDC (BTDC).

Reply to
Dan