Tiburon and electrical socket/cig lighter

My 2007 Tiburon has a cigarette lighter but no dedicated electrical socket. The salesman told me I could plug things into the cig lighter, like a cell phone recharger etc. I have plugged a solar panel trickle charger into the cig lighter and it seemed to be fine but lately sometimes I have trouble unlocking/locking the doors with the remote. Unplugging the trickle charger seemed to solve that problm once but I plugged the charger back in and was able to lock and arm the doors. However, when I returned the next morning, the doors would not unlock with the remote. Is there some correlation? Can I sent electricity to the battery with the solar trickle charger plugged into the cig lighter or am I just wasting my time? Could it be what's interfering with the remote?

Reply to
Smedly

That's a weird one for sure. I'd have to ask why you're bothering with that trickle charger in the first place though. If your battery really needs a trickle charger for an overnight sit, then you need a new battery. If your battery is good, you have no need for that trickle charger.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

First thing I'd do is plug in a different item such as a cell phone charger and see if it has the same effect. Chances are, the solar charger is giving off some strange RF signals screwing up the remote.

Second thing I'd do is put the trickle charger away. A good battery does not need such a thing and may have no benefit at all; could be a detriment is not working properly. . A 2007 should have a battery good for a few more years of trouble free driving.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Most generally 5 years is no problem for a modern lead acid battery if the terminals are kept clean. The solar tricle charger is just a waste of time for a good battery. Maybe in Alaska in a diesel pwered vehicle----Maybe?

Reply to
What

The cigarette lighter is unpowered when the key is off. Plugging in the trickle charger may possibly confuse some of the electronic components, as they could now be powered up on some power circuits but not on others that should be simultaneously powered. Doubtful, but it's possible. At the very least, if the key is out or turned off, you're not doing any battery charging through the lighter socket.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Like you are doing a lot of charging with a solar charger at night...... ;-)

Reply to
nothermark

Thanks for an actual answer to my simple question.

Reply to
Smedly