Batteries that go flat.

I use my MGB Roadster as often as possible, however you will all appreciate that keeping the batteries in good order is a nightmare. I would like to fit an isolation switch so that the inhibitor that draws power from the batteries is not connected when the car is in the garage. Any thoughts?

David

Reply to
david

If by 'inhibitor' you mean one of those anti-rust devices surely cutting the juice off to it while parked negates the whole idea of having it in the car?

I found the availability and pricing of 6 volt batteries to fit my '70 B-GT to be troublesome, so I switched to a single modern style 12v battery and have had no troubles since. If capacity were an issue, given a current drain while parked, I'd just pop another 12v in the other bin and wire to give a total of 12. The modern 12v battery cost far less than a single 6 volt relic and for the past 2 seasons it has worked finer than frog-hair with no signs of the traditional Joe Lucas power shortage.

Reply to
Kevin Hall

Now there are a couple of things not sure if its possible for yourself, but I have one installed.

The Landrovers and Jaguars have an electronic isolator installed by the factory pre delivery. This is removed by the dealer in the pre delivery service.

This relay is normally discarded by the dealer. So if you ask a dealer they may be willing to give you one.

Pt No. YWB500140. Branded PM2 also has the Landrover or Jaguars logos printed on them. (you will also need the plug which fits, this is in the cars wiring harness so they can't give you that.)

URL for them is

Now prior to these electronic ones being fitted there was a manual isolator fitted which had a big switch and two lengths of battery cable about 30cm long with the pos and neg terminals. This also just slipped on and isolated the battery.

Reply to
Rob

Why don't you get a battery conditioner? They aren't just chargers, they're designed to maintain batteries in cars garaged for long periods.

Basically you connect it like a charger but rather than just keep the battery charged it simulates use and keeps the battery in top shape.

Reply to
Nick Mason

Well what's the result?

Reply to
Rob

Yes, I've seen farmers do this with a simple knife switch on the battery post. Easiest and cheapest. An alternative is a small trickle charger that's left plugged in while the car stands. If parked outdoors there are now small solar units that plug into the cigarette lighter. It can take weeks to find what's drawing off your battery. (I assume that's what you mean by inhibitor). With a volt meter you should read

0 volts between the negative post and the metal frame of the car. If you get voltage you can start to pull fuses one by one. When it drops to 0 you've found the grounded/leaking circuit. From there you can start searching. Sometimes a light bulb will be barely on which can only be seen in pitch darkness. Jiggling the wires in total darkness will sometimes show up a spark. When examined this reveals a skinned wire or partial connection. Lucas- the prince of darkness. Best of luck.
Reply to
on the busses

I have obtained a battery isolator switch and have fitted it to the vertical bulkhead in front of the battery box. It has a red plastic key that can be turned through fourty five degree and removed. This completely isolates the batteries. The problem up to now is a security immobilisor switch that disables the starter. It drawns power from the batteries night and day. It has a jack plug that allows you 30 seconds to start the car. With the new switch the car can be garaged without running down the batteries.

David

Reply to
david

They used these switches in the Jag/Rover prior to the relay type. the switch came with two cables 30cm long which just hooked up to the battery poles. I have several laying around.

Reply to
Rob