turns over but won’t start...sometimes????

:arrow: I have a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon that sometimes won?t start out of the blue. It does not matter if it is garaged, raining, dry, morning, or what. Sometimes it is after it sits all night, sometimes its after I just drove it for 30 minutes and it sat for 5 minutes. I try to start it and it just keeps turning over but acts like there is no gas or spark or something. The next day my dad comes over to look at it, gets in and it starts right up! :oops: 8O Finally he took it to his house and it did it to him, so I?m not crazy now. :lol: We tried to adjust the clutch safety switch thinking that was the problem. The next time it happened we tried to bypass the switch to see if it would start and that did not work. Anyone with a similar problem?? If so please help!!! If it would just work, or not work, it would make it easier. :?:

Reply to
D_Nice

Yep, same thing happened to me with a 2001 Accent. If it's under warranty take it in and they'll replace the part. I think it's a known issue with dealers. Forgot what part it was. Think it was actually a part of a part.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

It's possibly a crank sensor, but there are many possibilities. It's definitely not the clutch switch, though, because if that's bad the engine can't crank.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"" wrote: > It's possibly a crank sensor, but there are many > possibilities. It's > definitely not the clutch switch, though, because if that's > bad the engine > can't crank.

Funny you suggest that. I had the sensor replaced yesterday...& it did it (woudn?t start up after sitting only 4.5 hours) again today. Took several times before it finally turned over. I am waiting now, finally home from work, to see if it?s going to start in a few hours.

It was also suggested to me that since it is turning over but not starting, perhaps it isn?t getting any fuel, or pressure from the fuel injection? I was told to turn the key forward to the final position before ignition (battery point?), wait 10 seconds then turn back to off. Repeat 4-5 times then attempt to turn over...to build pressure?!?

I look like a circus act :)

I?m going to call back to the Hyundai dealership that worked on it yesterday & offer to let the mechanic have it for a few days...he was so confident he fixed it...maybe we can trade cars for a few days.

Thanks, what do you think?

Thanks,

Denise

Reply to
D_Nice

I'm thinking they won't really be sure unless they can experience the condition for long enough to test and find the problem while the condition is still happening.

Reply to
hyundaitech