Re: Testbook interface info needed...

> Has anyone got any information on constructing the diagnostics I/O

> > interface board and leads for use with "Testbook" software on a PC??? > there is a bit on my site, >

Also

freediag at sourceforge

I have hopefully identified the pins on the 14cux and have narrowed diagnostics down to

pin 9 white/light green pin 18 white/pink pin 31 black/green looped back to earth when connector not attached to diagnostic plug but attached to keeper plug in vehicle.

on this basis I am suspecting that pins 9 and 18 are the ISO9141 K & L lines but which is which?

the diagnostic sockets are 5 pin shake proof and the lucas tester diagnostic lead is terminated as follows with an additional connector to connect to vehicle cigar lighter or battery.

O x x O x

where O shows a connection ; and x no wire attached.

the air suspension diagnostic adapter plug is:- NB female pins come in a male shroud and vice versa female male pins x O O x treating this as 1 2 O O O O x O 3 4 5 male female shroud

then 2 pin female connects to 1 male i.e. straight through then 3 pin female connects to 5 male i.e. straight through then 5 pin female connects to 3 male i.e. straight through then 4 pin female connects to 5 female

this suggests

x O O O x

in the vehicle with pin 2 K or L pin 3 loopback pin 4 K or L

can anybody confirm this and add any useful information, particularly as to which is L and which is K

One source who got a look inside says that ECM pins 9 and 18 run straight to the motorola microprocessor chip's serial ports, and as near as I can determine from Motorola docs these ports are bi-directional so should serve for ISO9141 K & L lines.

Reply to
Warwick Barnes

[snip totally fantastic - and archived info!]

Warren eventually went off and brought an Autologic, but I'm still up for looking at building a few interfaces :-)

Reply to
Mother

The message from Warwick Barnes contains these words:

CORRECTED VERSION 3 Sept 03 Sorry had a slight orientation problem!

Has anyone got any information on constructing the diagnostics I/O interface board and leads for use with "Testbook" software on a PC???

there is a bit on my site,

Also

freediag at sourceforge

I have hopefully identified the pins on the 14cux and have narrowed diagnostics down to

pin 9 white/light green pin 18 white/pink pin 31 black/green looped back to earth when connector not attached to external diagnostic plug but attached to keeper plug in vehicle.

on this basis I am suspecting that pins 9 and 18 are the ISO9141 K & L lines but which is which?

the diagnostic sockets are 5 pin shake proof and the lucas tester diagnostic lead is terminated as follows with an additional connector to connect to vehicle cigar lighter or battery.

x O O x O

where O shows a connection ; and x no wire attached. looking at end

the air suspension diagnostic adapter plug is:- NB female pins come in a male shroud and vice versa female male pins x O O x treating this as 1 2 O O O O x O 3 4 5 male female shroud

then 2 pin female connects to 1 male i.e. straight through then 3 pin female connects to 5 male i.e. straight through then 5 pin female connects to 3 male i.e. straight through then 4 pin female connects to 5 female

this suggests

O x O x O

in the vehicle with pin 1 K or L pin 3 loopback pin 5 K or L

can anybody confirm this and add any useful information, particularly as to which is L and which is K

One source who got a look inside says that ECM pins 9 and 18 run straight to the motorola microprocessor chip's serial ports, and as near as I can determine from Motorola docs these ports are bi-directional so should serve for ISO9141 K & L lines. note they are set to input after a reset!

Now had a chance to examine vehicle 1993 efi 3.9 with lucas 14cux for both efi and air suspension. the wabco is a completely different plug; I am not even going there till I get some solid information.

Air suspension

male pins "O" looking at end. This is end connected to ecu

O x using 1 2 O O O 3 4 5

(this matches adapter cable tester side pins exactly) pin 1 white/green stripe wire 2 not connected 3 black 4 black/pink stripe 5 white/pink stripe

female pins "O" loopback/keeper looking at end

x x x O x

pin 4 black wire pins 1 2 3 5 not connected

Electronic fuel injection

male pins looking at end. This is end connecting ecu to diagnostic cable.

O x using 1 2 O x O 3 4 5

pin 1 white/green (**? ecu pin 9 ) 2 not used 3 black (**? earth) 4 not used 5 white/pink (**? ecu pin 18 )

female pins loopback connector/keeper looking at end

x x O x O

pin 3 is connected to pin 5 which then runs out a black/green wire (**?ecu pin 31)

NB the range rover manual does not show a connection between 3 and 5 whilst the ETM shows a connection but on the diagnostic half not the loopback half it would seem that in normal operation both ECU pins 18 and 31 are set to ground. I just discovered the correct reference for pins is as follows:- female pins male pins

5 3 1 1 3 5 4 2 2 4 looking at the ends; they match up when put together, Honest! :-)

The only other piece of information I have gleaned from the ISO/SAE specs is that the L line input resistance to ground is not less than 5 Kohm even if ecu not in operation, and apart from initialisation it should idle in logic state 1 (about 8 1/2 to 12 volts). This would suggest that the L line should not ever be tied to ground, making it pin

9 on the ecu and my pin 1 (officially 4 ) on the diagnostic socket.
Reply to
Warwick Barnes