Diagnostics Port

Having just gotten my hands on an OBD-II Scanner :) I'm finding the Ka's diagnostics port extremely stiff... Presumably this is quite normal? There doesn't seem to be a catch, I merely have to give it a big tug...

Reply to
DervMan

Stiff, big "tug! ????

Are you sure you are looking at the right part???

More seriously: Those things tell you very little anyway...

Reply to
Burgerman

Aye, but a little bit more than what the dashboard tells me - like RPM, intake and coolant temperature...

Reply to
DervMan

DervMan raved thus:

:: Having just gotten my hands on an OBD-II Scanner :) I'm finding the :: Ka's diagnostics port extremely stiff... Presumably this is quite :: normal? There doesn't seem to be a catch, I merely have to give it :: a big tug...

Cool, where did you get it? Is it a laptop/PDA version or is it hardware? Does it have a dashboard on it? Etc.

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Texas, the Harrison R & D solution, for Palm. Check out

for details, but note that it now comes withversion 7.0 of the software rather than 6.0, which includes data logging.

Quite a simple solution, but effective, not taxing on the PDA either...

And it comes with the necessary for a laptop connection, too! :)

Reply to
DervMan

DervMan raved thus:

:: Texas, the Harrison R & D solution, for Palm. Check out ::

for details, but note that it now:: comes with version 7.0 of the software rather than 6.0, which:: includes data logging. Looks good, but I don't have £195 spare :(

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Why do you want to know?

Reply to
Scott M

'cause it's a highly developed sports car and these things need to be kept under control :)

Reply to
Carl Farrington

Depends on the software.

The OBDII gives you the potential to record, in real time, all sorts of engine and powertrain sensor values and positions and graph things to see what the effects are when changing things.

E.g. before and after pictures while cleaning the MAF to compare the readings from the device. It's pretty obvious the MAF was reading 0.06 - 0.7 pounds per minute high before cleaning on tickover / normal revs, also pretty obvious the MAF reads higher at higher revs, following the graphs, pointing out that the MAF is working but overreading due to gunk until cleaned:

Tickover:

Revs:
Fair enough, you could not know whether it was reading high or indeed varying with actual airflow. You could just spend 100 notes on a new one and see if things changed. You can also drive the car with various things being logged until you recreate the problem you are trying to diagnose. Then, you can see which sensors are reading what at that moment, which probably tells you what's going wrong.

Not an expensive tool. ISTR paying about 90 bucks, hardware and software.

Apparently >Stiff, big "tug! ????

Reply to
antispam

Probly just as a matter of intrest :) Although, except for intake temp, my dash tells me those things anyway...

Reply to
Dan405

I'm certainly NOT gonna have a poke around when i get back to my broadband tmrw and see if i can download it :)

Reply to
Dan405

Dan405 raved thus:

::::: Texas, the Harrison R & D solution, for Palm. Check out :::::

for details, but note that it now::::: comes with version 7.0 of the software rather than 6.0, which::::: includes data logging.::: ::: Looks good, but I don't have £195 spare :( ::: ::: -- :: :: I'm certainly NOT gonna have a poke around when i get back to my :: broadband tmrw and see if i can download it :)

Heh, thought about that one, but you need a bit of hardware too :o(

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Is that standard diagnostic stuff for all cars? Or do diffent makes use different connections/software? I was thinking of getting the relevant cables and software for my Polo (Sept 01), just out of curiosity really.

Reply to
spawn

Because I'm a nerd.

Reply to
DervMan

$195, not £195. :)

Reply to
DervMan

Yes; cars from 1996 onwards have to have the OBD-II port.

Reply to
DervMan

I realise it became mandatory then, but were some cars OBD-II before then? Will my forthcoming '95 Supra be OBD-II?

Reply to
Carl Farrington

For a Polo Vag-Com's pretty unbeatable, mainly due to all the non ODBII stuff it does.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I get the impression that they don't all use the same interface, though. Ford use pulse width modulated, PWM, while Vauxhall use sommat else, for instance. It may well be the socket is the same shape / pins.

Load of detail here:

antispam

Yes.

I have no idea.