Why turn ESC off?

I just got my 2007 Santa Fe, Limited, Ultimate Package, AWD yesterday and am, so far, very satisfied.

Question: I noticed that Elecronic Stability Control (ESC) and All Wheel Drive can be manually turned off or on. Why would one want to turn ESC off? And, if AWD is off does than mean that if the front wheels start to slip traction will not go to rear automatically?

Thanks

Reply to
stevek

Probably for the same reason that one would turn off ABS; these wiz-bang electronic systems are typically the least usefull when you need them most, such as in really low traction situations (ice, for one).

Yup, you'd be just dragging around dead weight that eats into your gas mileage.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

If you have a flat tire and put on a small spare, it could be sending false signals, or so I'm told.

ESC works. I had a situation last week where, at 65 mph, I had to cut to the left lane suddenly and the pavement was wet. I don't know that I'd have fared well without it as I pulled the wheel sharp left, then right. I thought I'd be skidding or going off the side, but the ESC kicked in and it tracked right through.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm not sure why you would turn off AWD unless there is a fuel mileage gain to be had, but most AWD systems, unlike the older 4WD systems, tend to have less impact on mileage whether they are on or off. Probably their biggest impact is weight and you can't turn that off.

As for ESC, traction control, etc., there are cases where this is a handicap. Deep mud and snow come to mind. In those conditions you want to spin to clean the tread on your tires so that you can keep biting into the snow or mud. Limiting spinning in those conditions, mud especially, will get you stuck in a heart beat.

The same holds for ABS in deep snow, sand, etc. It would be better if you could turn it off and lock the wheels, but ABS doesn't give you that option.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Yes, I've heard that also. Have not yet (knock on wood) had to find out.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

If you had a childish moment, and you wanted to dust off someone at the lights, you might turn esc off . wheel spin isn't good I suppose, but I bet funny cars don't have esc.

Its a good question though. Does esc only apply braking to a slipping wheel ala tyraction control? I've had it feel like it actvated only once-around a wet exit ramp while on the gas......never has kicked in while off the throttle.

Reply to
Darby OGill

Actually, wheel spin is a bad deal for fast acceleration. Funny cars don't have ESC last I knew, but they have something that performs a similar function - a slipper clutch. If a Funny car loses traction and smokes the tire, they lose. When two are side-by-side and fairly equally matched and then one spins the tires, the difference in acceleration is dramatic as the car with the smoking tires drops back instantly and dramatically.

It also cuts the throttle. I took off on a road with a thin layer of ice one morning and the car started bucking like crazy. I thought something was wrong and let off the throttle and it stopped. I got back on the throttle again and it started bucking again. Guessing at that point that it was the ESC, I hit the brakes and the ABS kicked in instantly. I was on black ice.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Matt Whiting wrote in news:MQySh.3684$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

Yes, I can vouch for the same response on black ice. I had at least 10 mornings this Winter with the nasty stuff. Although we barely got any snow in my part of NJ this year, the black ice was the worst I can recall.

Although in my car I certainly wouldn't call it bucking. I have a feeling that is because I have an AT versus your MT.

Personally, though, I really like the ESC and ABS in the bad weather. I could use the throttle and brakes almost as I would in "normal" weather, albeit at a slower (safe) speed.

I loathe it in the dry weather though. It takes away some of the fun of driving as far as I am concerned. It is a good idea for those with worse reaction time that me though.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Matt, I follow what you say ., and now that you mentioned it, I guess I did notice throttle being affected. So I concur with one caveat....having had a such childish moments in my life, it seems from those experiences I can get a better hole shot using my foot/brain combination rather than the traction control. The onboard system seems to "give up" at wheel spin and not let you back into the fray quick enough! That being said, I almost never would have esc turned off, and don't advocate street racing.

Reply to
Darby OGill

ESC is actually three separate systems.

  1. ABS. This activates only during braking and modulates the fluid pressure to wheels that are starting to lock up.

  1. Traction control. This will modulate the ABS, reduce power through the throttle or by cutting fuel, and in some cases upshift the transmission.

  2. Stability control. This will momentarily activate the brake (one pulse) on one wheel to cause the vehicle to rotate more in the desired direction.
Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to message from "hyundaitech" (Mon, 09 Apr

2007 19:20:28) about "Re: Why turn ESC off?":

h> ESC is actually three separate systems.

Thanks for taking the time to straighten out this issue as it seems to have skidded off at a tangent. ;-)

Best Regards Wayne Moses Mon, 09 Apr 2007 19:50:10 -0500

Wayne Moses

Can ESC be put into a car after the fact (like in my 07 Elantra, which has ABS)?

Reply to
Fantine

Nope.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Are you saying that turning off ESC also disables the ABS? I find that hard to believe.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Mike Marlow is somewhat incorrect - you CAN add ESC to a car already with ABS for an additional $110, I am sure this is manufacturer dependent (e.g. check with your dealer). This past Sunday evening (4/8/07), 60 Minutes had a segment on ESC and the difference with and without this feature. Groups (which groups I do not remember) are pushing to have ALL vehicles to have this feature by 2012. 60 Minutes did not go into whether or not that $110 was parts only, or parts and labor. Fantine - I would do some research. I am somewhat suprised that your 07 Elantra doesn't have ESC equipped, I thought it was standard for ALL Hyundai models these days.

Reply to
mbleisch

Please let us know the JC Whitney catalog or Pep Boys number for that plug-in part.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Matt Whiting wrote in news:LjKSh.3693$Oc.188758 @news1.epix.net:

ABS is not disabled with the ESC off, however it will only work for braking. The ESC portion of the ABS system is deactivated.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

It'll disable the stability and traction control.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I was pretty sure ESC was standard on the 2007 Elantra. Now I'll need to check.

Reply to
hyundaitech

It is not shown on the Hyundai web page. Just ABS.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski