CV Boot Repair/Replacement HELP

I noticed the other day that my left front CV boot is torn. Is there a way to replace the boot and re grease the joint, or do I have to replace the entire half shaft? If I can replace and degrease, what grease should I use and where can I get the boot?

BTW I noticed this because I heard a very slight squeaking noise from the front end. I'm sure it's been gone for a while but I really don't want to replace the entire unit right now. I guess another question is how can I clean out the current CV joint of any dirt that is already there?

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

Great link... Thanks a lot.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

I followed that guide to replace the boots on my '94 Rodeo... it worked great. Did it on one Saturday and saved a bundle doing it myself, even though I had to buy a some tools. The shop procedure is to drop the front axle, completely disassembling the front suspension in the process. Nasty.

But to answer your question... you shouldn't have to replace half shafts just because the boots tore. Assuming yours is a part time 4x4 there isn't a load on the joint most of the time... and when there is a load it's usually at low speeds. Clean the joints really good with brake cleaner when you put on new boots, be sure to use CV joint grease when reassembling and don't mix grease types.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

That's exactly what I was thinking as well. I think I'll tackle it sometime after xmas as sort of a strange xmas present to myself. I'll have to pick a warm day however.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.