Air Conditioner Compressor bearing.

Vehicle:1999 Jackaroo (Australian equiv to Trooper) 3.5L V6 petrol auto. Problem: Noisy bearing in compressor. This is second unit to fail. The first was replaced under warranty after less than 2 years. Now less than 2.5 years later it has failed again. Total mileage less than 90,000Km. Questions: (1).Anyone else had similar experiences? (2) Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the bearing in the front pulley and if so how difficult is it to do? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Mr Walter Phelps

I cannot provide you with any help on this issue, however I'll be most interested in any responses you get. Just this summer past I began to hear a low whine emanating from the front of my '99 Trooper, which had just over 30K Miles. At first I thought it was in the drive-line, and had it the dealer, but they could not find a problem with it. I finally realized the only time the noise appeared was when the the A/C was running and was coming from the compressor. Also, I noticed my average gas mileage was down 1.5 to 2 mpg. Unfortunately the a/c still blows cold, and I don't expect the dealer to being agreeable to changing the compressor until it fails.

Also, I don't know if a bearing problem would contribute poorer gas mileage, but it seems reasonable to think that if there is more drag on the engine that it would.

Max

Reply to
Max Tindell

hi i recomended that change the compressor. some times the compreesor has internal broken parts that do that the cluch stop and the bearing get to much hot and break. i recomended to change the compressor if you interest a compressor like new condition look at ebay

Item number: 2451840100 at a good price thanks,victor

Reply to
vwrotor