95 Rodeo/Passport Running Rough

95 Rodeo/Passport, 3.2L. Started running very rough the other day. It seems to be intermittent. I replaced air filter/fuel filter. I'm waiting on the speedo gear to replace as it broke several months ago. (Found online for $20, dealers want anywhere from $100 to $170!!!!, thieves)

Here's what it does. Sitting at idle, it seems to be misfiring. When the light turns green and I accelerate, there is a significant hesitation. I don't notice any smoke out of the pipe but there is an odd smell that I really can't describe. I want to say it's almost a bitter odor. If I go wide-open-throttle it will go better but still don't have the usual power I should have.

Does AutoZone allow "rental" of code readers? I was thinking of plugging it in to see if there is anything in the computer. If I do that, where is the reader plug?

I'll take any ideas here but don't want to just start throwing $$ at it in hopes of a fix. I have run a couple tanks through it so I don't think it's bad gas. Speaking of that, I have vacuum in the fuel tank so it's not a loose cap.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
DollarBill

I cleaned up the throttle body today with carb cleaner. Also cleaned the choke module. Seems the choke was not working at all as now I get a high idle for a few minutes then it settles down. But I'm still getting the extreme hesitation. As I stated above, I was not getting obvious smoke from the exhaust but sitting in the driveway and giving it a few quick revs while observing the pipe I see I'm getting some dark smoke. I guess I'll clean the EGR tomorrow but don't know where it is. Can somebody advise?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
DollarBill

Had alot of hesitation with my 94 trooper and it ended up being the O2S.

Reply to
GuitarMan

Well as embarassed as I am to post this, it was the spark plugs. When I bought the car used a few years ago, the former owner told me it just had a complete tune-up. I checked the air filter and it was new and the fuel filter looked new too. Those were the easiest things to check so I assumed they installed new plugs too. My mistake. I'm surprised the car was running at all with those old, carbon-black plugs!

It's a pretty easy job too with only the number 6 plug giving me problems with the brake booster in the way. A few swaps with various extensions did the trick. Also, if you do this job, put a wrap of duct tape around the plug wrench and the extension. It will save you a minor headache if the plug socket pops off the ratchet extension.

Finally, the NGK box states torque to 18-21 ft-lb. I let mine go at 16 because it seemed plenty tight and I didn't want to get too crazy. In a few weeks, I'll re-torque but I'm thinking I'll stick with the 16 ft-lb. Any ideas on this?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
DollarBill

IT IS your EGR valve causing your problem Easy fix, don't buy a new on take the old one off and spray gumout into the unit let it set, and then flush it good with more gumout spray.. making sure the plunger moves freely.. it has a torx head on it find the right size wrench and turnit while seated and again making sure it moves freely no sticking AT ALL spray again and reinstall it....you should be all set

DollarBill wrote:

Reply to
dave