97 Trooper Trans Shifter

My automatic transmission shifter has locked(hung)up. Depressing brake pedal has no effect. Thumb button on shifter has zero play (it used to have a little) and feels as if jammed. It worked earlier today but won' t now.

Any clues?

Reply to
Steve

Yup I would say that the Electric Solenoid that works when the brake pedal is depressed has stopped working,Does the vehicle have an override button on the shifter.If not you will need to check all fuses first,if they check out all right you will need to check the switch adjustment of the over ride switch at the brake pedal,also while your dwon there check to see if it has power to it,if thats ok then it gets complicated as you will need to dismantle the shrouds around the shifter and check the solenoid...

DJ Diesel Technician

Reply to
Darren Dempsey

Take the console sides off and see if the button has slipped off of the fork.

There are two screws on each side. It will pop off fairly easily. Then you'll be able to see the shifter in its entirety.

I thought mine was a little dodgy, too.

Reply to
Joey Schoenleber

I?ve also had this problem with my truck. On mine, it was the trans shifter shaft which was worn. I think a previous owner used to use the shifter as a knee rest. There are 2 microswitches on the unit and one has to be engaged for the other one to work. On my shifter, if you pulled the shifter towards you then you could then depress the button on the top and shift the stick. I havn?t managed to spend enough time to fix mine yet but to get to the mechanism involves removing all the centre console.

Having said that, it may be as simple as a fuse as has been suggested, so I would start with the simple things first.

Reply to
offtech