Do I have a Rear ABS on my 94 Isuzu Pickup 4ZD1, 2WD

I am bost sure if this feature is on my truck. The Rear Wheel Anti Lock light does not come on as other lights do. But I do see a big aluminum block in the engine compartment mounted on the fire wall on the passenger side. What that block does? Is that a ABS control unit? One brake line runs right through that block.

How do I know if I have ABS?

Thanks

Reply to
Alex Zeng

find a nice level flat piece of road, at about 30mph slam on the brakes. if it locks and fishtails then theres no ABS or it's not working.

HTH

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

You get rear ABS standard.

The ABS computer is tucked inside the right rear frame rail, IIRC.

As for your light not coming on, check and change the bulb. That test feature that flashes all the indicator lights at you when you start the truck....tells you when you need to change said bulbs.

I couldn't tell you about that "block"...you truck *might* be fuel injected...my 93 2.3L wasn't (drats!, still have that 2.6L intake/harness sitting around), so that brake booster set-up might be slightly different, for all I know.

Reply to
Alfred B

The main CPU also controls the rear ABS. The device on the right frame rail is a proportioning valve with a solenoid that relieves pressure to the rear brakes when the CPU signals. On the top of the rear differential is a small plug-like device with two wires coming out of it. That is the hall-effect sensor that the CPU reads to determine when to trigger the pressure-relieving proportioning valve. It is a primitive system by current standards, and it failed not long after my '90 PU (2.6L) was out of warranty. I suspect that the CPU is where the real fault is, for certain it's not the proportioning valve or speed sensor because they've both been replaced. After several "repairs" that never lasted long, I put a piece of black tape over the ABS light. I *wish* that light would burn out, but the damn thing seems likely to last as long as the truck & I'm far too apathetic to get in there and remove the bulb.

Reply to
Joe Blow