Fog Lamps

How hard or easy, is it to install fog lamps, on a 99 trooper.

Reply to
George Tapia

No idea, mine came as standard equipment with the truck.

Reply to
madiba

"madiba" wrote in message news:1g6c2ns.8uh056o6lqyxN% snipped-for-privacy@thekraal.com... | George Tapia wrote: | | > How hard or easy, is it to install fog lamps, on a 99 trooper. | | No idea, mine came as standard equipment with the truck. | | -- | madiba

I installed some "third party" (non-Isuzu) fog lamps on my trooper. The switch for the lamps was not present, so I popped out the blank cover on the left side of the dash, where the switch would normally be and installed a generic black rocker switch in a hole I cut in the blank cover. It looks "official", like it belongs there. Then I tapped an ignition switched wire under the dash that I found in an unused wiring harness plug. For all I know, maybe that's where the power for the fog lamp switch is supposed to come from, but I doubt it. I then ran a wire from that plug up to the new switch and then through the firewall beside a wiring bundle and over to the fuse panel area. None of the wiring to that point was difficult. I did buy some thin black split wiring tubing, so it looks like the wires belong where I routed them. The fog lamp relay was, of course, not installed, so I mounted a relay externally and drew the fog lamp main power for it from the fuse holder that would have been for the fog lamps. The new relay was triggered, of course, with the wire I'd brought from the dashboard switch I'd installed. Then I ran wiring down from the new relay to the place behind where the fog lamps go. I was able to ground the new fog lamps via the fog lamp wiring harness which was right there behind the bumper. That ground was the only part of the existing fog lamp harness that I used because I didn't have the wiring diagrams and couldn't easily trace the "hot" side of the harness - it wouldn't have been hot without having all the missing stuff anyway. The lamps were a pain to install, probably because they weren't the correct Isuzu one's. I was able to rig a bracket through the upper opening in the fog lamp bumper depression and thus didn't have to cut anything in the bumper. I just mounted my lamps in that depression and jury rigged the bracket through an opening in the top of that depression and back to a bumper bracket. I never did figure out how the proper one's might go in there but mine work okay.

About a year after I installed the fog lamps, a valet parking attendant at a restaurant wrecked my trooper by running another car into it while parking cars. It damaged the bumper and smashed one of my fog lamps. The Isuzu repair garage replaced the bumper and installed a new set of fog lamps. They bought off-brand lamps like I'd done but actually bought better ones than I'd had. The mechanic mounted the lamps almost exactly like I'd done and used my wiring. He said my wiring worked and it was easier than trying to install the entire fog lamp kit they'd bought. Even at that, it was cheaper than factory fog lamps. They wouldn't put the factory one's in as replacements because they said mine weren't factory lamps and the restaurant insurance wouldn't pay for it. But they did install off brand one's with no question.

Chuck

Reply to
Charles Galbach

The switch is integrated in the normal lights switch, ie you just rotate the switch one step further and the fog lights come on. Thats probably what made the original Isuzu set more expensive.

Reply to
madiba

"madiba" wrote in message news:1g6ceo2.tw5yqmkbvblmN% snipped-for-privacy@thekraal.com... | Charles Galbach wrote: | | > The switch for the lamps was not present, so I popped out the blank | The switch is integrated in the normal lights switch, ie you just rotate | the switch one step further and the fog lights come on. Thats probably | what made the original Isuzu set more expensive. | | -- | madiba

Not so in mine. I've got the user guide right here and it shows the switch in the left-most of a 4 position switch panel on the left side of the dashboard. The book shows, from left to right on that switch panel, the following - Fog Light Switch, Blank, Instrument Panel Dimmer, Blank. It also shows the fog light switch as a push button switch with a little indicator light, much like several other switches (heated mirror, rear window defroster, etc). That's where I put my off brand fog light rocker switch - right where the book shows a push button fog light switch. The Head Lamp Switch is in the turn signal stalk on the left side of the steering column - shown as a 3 position switch with the positions OFF, Parking & Other Lights and then Headlights. That's exactly how mine works also, as described in the book. There is no fourth position for fog lights. You may have a different year or different model that is configured as you describe. However, I think you're right about the Isuzu set being expensive.

Chuck

Reply to
Charles Galbach

Interesting, mine is a 99 Trooper (rebadged for the EU as Opel Monterey) too. My 'turn signal stalk' has 4 positions, the 4th being the fog lights.. The switch for the rear foglight is next to the headlight wipers switch on the dash to the left of the steering column. Maybe its because its a diesel?

Reply to
madiba

| > Not so in mine. I've got the user guide right here and it shows the switch | > in the left-most of a 4 position switch panel on the left side of the | > dashboard. The book shows, from left to right on that switch panel, the | > following - Fog Light Switch, Blank, Instrument Panel Dimmer, Blank. It also | > shows the fog light switch as a push button switch with a little indicator | > light, much like several other switches (heated mirror, rear window | > defroster, etc). That's where I put my off brand fog light rocker switch - | > right where the book shows a push button fog light switch. The Head Lamp | > Switch is in the turn signal stalk on the left side of the steering column - | > shown as a 3 position switch with the positions OFF, Parking & Other Lights | > and then Headlights. That's exactly how mine works also, as described in the | > book. There is no fourth position for fog lights. You may have a different | > year or different model that is configured as you describe. However, I think | > you're right about the Isuzu set being expensive. | | Interesting, mine is a 99 Trooper (rebadged for the EU as Opel Monterey) | too. My 'turn signal stalk' has 4 positions, the 4th being the fog | lights.. The switch for the rear foglight is next to the headlight | wipers switch on the dash to the left of the steering column. | Maybe its because its a diesel? | | -- | madiba

I'm not so sure about the "diesel" as the reason for the switch difference, although one can never tell. The trooper was sold as several other vehicles, including in the USA, an Acura and maybe some others. I believe, besides the "nameplate", that the other areas tampered with in selling it (and other cross labeled vehicles) under a different label are the interior upholstery and other cosmetics and the interior lighting - probably including the controls for that lighting. I find one of my frustrations is with the lack of electrical outlets in the vehicle. My wife's GM vehicle has two outlets on the dash and another in the rear, all of which are unswitched. My trooper has a single switched outlet in the dash. When I contacted Isuzu about the poor electricals, they were obtuse about it. But I finally figured out from the person taking the call that since my trooper had 3 years of free roadside service, they didn't want a bunch of calls for rundown batteries. Strange the things that can drive the design of certain aspects of a vehicle.

Chuck

Reply to
Charles Galbach