Installing an egr valve....

...on my 2001 Trooper looks easy enough. I see it on the rear of the block right there on top. I received the replacement today but no gasket was included. Is one required? And is it really as simple as unbolting the old one and popping the new one on and plugging it back up? ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

Well. Swapped it out. It does run better too! Cleaned out a bunch of that, what is it, Carbon? ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

Reply to
Ed H.

That would explain why my 'check engine' light is still on. ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

For some reason I replace egr valve with O2 sensor. They are entirely different, so please disregard my statement. As far as the check engine light, different sensors have different numbers of trips they must make without the error being present before it will turn the check engine light off. A decent code scanner- around $50-60 can read and clear the codes.

Reply to
Ed H.

If you have an Autozone nearby, they'll check the codes remaining for free. If you ask the guy real nicely, perhaps he'll also clear them for you. Then you can find out if you have any more issues by driving the truck a ways and see what occurs.

Reply to
GreenGas

Why did you have to replace the EGR? CEL? Here is a link for your P0405 or similar code. If it was the code, a $3 cure would had fix it.

jeff