"Isuzu Trooper" lettering on Spare Tire Cover

Just a curiosity question for those with Troopers...

On our 2002 Isuzu Trooper, the spare tire cover does not have the "Isuzu Trooper" lettering that every other one I've seen has. If I remember correctly the sheet of paper the dealer had when we bought the Trooper new, the paper was an import statement saying when and where it entered the US. If memory serves, it came in through Norfolk VA in August of 2002. That would tend to put it towards the end of the production run I'm guessing...? Anyway, just curious if anyone else has (or has seen) a Trooper w/o the lettering on the spare tire cover. I'm wondering if they ran out of letters and just stopped putting them on at some point.

Another interesting point - I was talking to a guy in the parts dept at St. Charles Isuzu when I was pricing a new hard-shell cover like that for our 94 Trooper (the vinyl one came apart when we had to use the spare). He said at one point they had a bunch of them for a good price (of course I missed them) - apparently they tire cover was put on after they were imported into the states. So, they had some leftovers to get rid of. I also seem to recall hearing in the early Trooper days (1991 and before) that they came into the US w/o the rear seats to be classified as a "truck" and therefore had a lower import duty to be paid or something like that (supposedly).

Anyway...enough rambling from me... :-)

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

I can vouch for this... I had an 85 Trooper II LS model. The LS model came with the rear seat installed from the mfr. The lower models (S and base, I think) had the rear seats installed as an option by the dealer.

The LS rear seats were very nice... split backs that leaned back or forward and arm rests that could be removed and installed to extend the seat bottom so that, with the backs lowered, it formed a bed. Perfect for car camping without a tent!

The lower models' rear seats were just plain bench seats and looked crummy. But they were really cheap (price) basic 4x4's that had a lot of room for hauling your gear (even without stowing rear seat) and were very capable off-roaders if underpowered. I really wish someone would come out with something similar today.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

I'm with you on that one...seems nobody makes a plain-vanilla rugged SUV-type vehicle any more. Heck, can't even really find a base small pickup like you once could...

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

True about the optional seat on older Troopers. I'm on my fourth original-style Trooper (86, 90, and two 91s), and all of them had the rear seat as an option. I love how easy it is to remove, too: only four bolts and it's out, creating tons for cargo space in the rear.

My current 1991 XS just turned over 100,000 miles and runs great. But, the rust is getting bad and I need to address that. It's still worth it to me, though, as nothing else on the market has the basic utility and low cost of ownsership as the original Troopers. Note that 89-91 Troopers with high miles still go for several thousand dollars on eBay. If they still made them today I'd buy a new one, even without all the modern bells and whistles. The 92+ Troopers, while nice, were a radical change in concept from the original Trooper. Plenty of luxury, but not enough utility. Sigh.

Reply to
BrianW