Rodeo transmission noise

A pal has a '91 Rodeo with a 5-speed/V-6. He is getting a noise from the tranny when the clutch is engaged. Sounds to me like a bearing in the input or lay shafts. Any ideas/experiences? He has it out. Are these things difficult to work on? Are parts hard to find? Expensive? Would a re-build tranny be a good idea? Thanks in advance.

Steve in AL

Steve Laughlin

Change the "nuts" to "net" to send e-mail.

Reply to
Steve Laughlin

I suppose you mean when the clutch is disengaged, as when the peddle is pushed? If so, probably is the throwout bearing. No need to rebuild the tranny. Replace the throwout bearing which is usually inexpensive. Since the tranny needs to be removed in order to replace the throwout bearing, the clutch and pressure place should be replaced as well. Some people will have the plate turned but I feel it's wiser to replace it because of the labor involved to replace it later.

Reply to
Miles

I miss-spoke. The noise is there when it is in neutral or when moving. It is not there when the Rodeo is stopped and the clutch is dis-engaged. Thanks. Steve Laughlin