Slight whining noise in 4wd

Is it normal to hear kinda medium-pitched (not low, not high) whine coming from front when in 4wd mode? Not really loud. I just had oil changed in front axle, and methinks the noise wasn't there before (or it was not as loud, and lower-pitched).

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Oops, forgot to mention that this is Trooper 98.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

my 95 LXW 4X4 passport/rodeo does the same thing since ive had it when engaged in 4WD,just make sure that if you ever hear a strange noise when turning(rear differental) in the warmer weather, that would mean the dealer didnt put the additive (dont ask me why ) but when i went back to them and they added it ,the noise went away for good since then( 2 summers ago) with its 122,000 miles ,also too bad the maual /visor says when in 4WD you cant go over 50 mph,good luck

Reply to
RLGIRSCH

I can hear the front axle turning in 4WD on my 98, Peter, and I also just changed out the lube, but I heard it before, and it doesn't sound bad at all. You're probably hearing some transfer case noise or simply gear noise from the front differential or the universal joints - nothing to be worried about. At least, I'm not going to worry about it. Run the dogsnot out of it. Just don't run 4WD on dry pavement. r/ Steve

Reply to
SPR

I thought so. Just was suspicious because I changed the oil and it got a bit louder, or so it seemed

I never do... snow & ice only ;)

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Does the 98 have the TOD system? I thought it was safe to run on dry pavement? (though you probably shouldn't for very far?)

Wesley

Reply to
Ntelos

TOD is an option I do not have. I've got LSD, though ;)

And yes, TOD should be safe to run on dry pavement AFAIK

Peter

Reply to
Peter

According to the manual for 1998 Trooper, it is fine to run TOD as long as you aren't going over 55mph for sustained periods.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to
Curtis Newton

I'm not completely sold on the TOD, but the push-button 4wd part sure is nice... :-) And that limited slip differential definitely is a wonderful thing!

Wesley

Reply to
Ntelos