T&C Van Noise - Fuel pump whine or ? Please Help!

Need help diagnosing the following: Over the past 2-3 weeks my 98 TC van has begun making a whistling/whining noise that seems to come from the middle to rear of the vehicle and is more noticeable outside the vehcile, yet very audible inside the vehicle. The van starts and runs flawlessly as usual. No stalling, warning lights etc. I have a cheap OBD II Creader and it shows no error codes. The noise usually is not present first thing in the morning on my 10 minute drive to work. However, once the vehicle is warm the noise is there and sometimes seems to go away when the throttle is increased (even slightly), while at other times, it seems to go away when you let off of the throttle? When parking, the noise dies down about a second or two after the ignition is turned off (sort of like pressure bleeding off). According to the local dealer it may mean I need a new fuel pump (~$500). Before I do that, are there any other items I should check? Could a fuel filter problem cause these symptoms? Any other ideas? Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Reply to
AR

Well you havent said the milage on this vehicle, but if the fuel filter is getting stopped up it may be putting a strain on the pump, If you are sure it is coming from the middle of the vehicle, that would be the the pump. Keep in mind that some noise is normal.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

The mileage is approx. 120K, and the noise is definitely not the usual noise and is coming from the center/underside of the vehicle. I've had the van for several years and this is a new and recent development. I may try changing the filter first just to see if the situation improves. Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
AR

With that kinda mileage on it, I would replace the pump if you plan on keeping the van, Pumps don't last forever and that noise may be the sign of it getting ready to crap out

Reply to
maxpower

Yes, I suppose you're right, and I do plan on keeping the van for at least a few more years. I'm just old enough to remember the days of $10 fuel pumps that you could change in 10 minutes, so $500 seems outrageous. I'm probably wasting time and risking a roadside breakdown with the filter replacement, so I'll just go ahead and take the van in for service including replacement of both the filter and the fuel pump (especially since I just found out that you need to drop the tank to replace the filter). Thanks for the reality check.

Reply to
AR

You need not drop the entire tank to replace the filter ... who told you that was required?

Reply to
Bob Shuman

The tank just needs to be lowered, not removed, with a floor jack this could be done on the floor with an empty tank of gas, that is if you feel up to sliding under the van. Also keep in mind, you are buying a complete fuel pump module, sending unit and all, I wouldn't recommend using an after market pump, I have seen to many failures with those.

Good Luck

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks for the help. Can't find my Haynes manual. Do the filter connections snap together or as someone on another forum suggested, do they need to be heat fitted? Can I replace the pump and filter without completely removing the tank? Any advice appreciated while I hunt for that darn manual.

Reply to
AR

QUICK DISCONNECTS ON THE FILTER AND PUMP, VERY EASY . >

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
dr who

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at the exhaust before I buy the new pump. In your case, was the crimp at the tip end (outlet) of the exhaust, or somewhere else?

Reply to
AR

Okay, I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump and filter. Guess what? Still have the same noise from the rear of the vehicle. Any other ideas? Could this have something to do with the AWD or ABS? I'm not aware of any issues with either, but there isn't much else back there that could make noise only when the engine is running. By the way, changing the pump and filter was not a lot of fun, but I would do it again if I had to.

Reply to
AR

Why not have someone turn the key on while you listen to the back, then disconnect the fuel pump connector and turn the key on to see if it is gone????? The ABS pump motor is under the battery, the solonoid pack for the ABS is under the drivers seat, it makes no noise, the only thnig in the back would be the fuel pump.....are you hearing a normal noise??

Reply to
maxpower

Already tried listening underneath with the key on, and with the van running. Since replacing the pump & filter, the sound has not changed. I really doubt that both pumps would make exactly the same noise. As I said earlier, the noise is not normal and began about 3 weeks ago. It is loud enough to be easily heard inside the van with the windows up and engine running. Perhaps the noise is actually coming from some other area under the van since it is sort of a low pitched whistling that is almost impossible to pinpoint. I don't see any fluid leaks, but perhaps what I'm hearing is really a vacuum or pressure leak? Or maybe it is coming from near the engine compartment, I just don't know anymore. I'll do some more checking tomorrow.

Reply to
AR

Well yea, if it is coming from somewhere else that would explain it. Take a piece of heater hose and place it to your ear and use it as a stethoscope around the engine compartment to see if you can pinpoint it

There is a vacuum hose going to the LDP (leak detection pump) just under the transmission, if that hose was off or broken you would hear a leak, BUT... the check engine lamp should be on setting a fault code for a leak detection pump failure....is that lamp on?

Reply to
maxpower

There are no warning lamps on (although all seem to be working when the key is turned on). There are no fault codes. I will do some more checking as soon as I can.

Reply to
AR