2000 S-Type hesitant acceleration and smell

I've always driven manual transmission vehicles and so have little experience or knowledge of those with an automatic box. Having just bought an S-Type with automatic transmission, I have been a little disappointed in its acceleration which I would describe as sluggish with the exception of when in 'sports' mode and pushed. However, on kickdown there is a couple of seconds delay between pressing the pedal and actually accelerating - not as instantaneous as I would like it to be and until you get used to it quite alarming in its delay and then aggressive acceleration which if not done carefully makes the car quite difficult to control as its off like a rocket.. Additionally, I have been able to smell something akin to a freshly lit match following kickdown in the cabin area - again something I would not expect and have an unnerving feeling all is not well. Has anyone any ideas what may be causing the above?. I would be very grateful for any suggestions or ideas.

John

Reply to
John Settle

As to the sulfur smell, it's from the exhaust - some gasoline brands have more sulfur than others, switch brands and the smell may disappear. It's also indicative of either an exhaust leak or that the trunk lid isn't as tightly sealed as it could and should be, allowing some exhaust to be pulled into the cabin.

As to the down shifting, the transmission needs to "know" the throttle's position so it can properly respond with a down shift or up shift. You need to have an experienced Jaguar mechanic look at this car to know if its correctly adjusted or not. It may be computer controlled in which case he will shrug and say: "They all do that".

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Mine does the same thing. You soon learn to drive around it.

The smell is probably the air con. Get it sanitised.

Alex

Alex

-Warning, may contain traces of reason

Reply to
Alex

Hi,

There have been a few firmware revisions for the transmission controller that address shifting quality. Be advised that these transmissions are known to fail using older firmware. The dealer can do this upgrade for you, and ask if its covered under a recall.

In sport mode shifting is what I would consider "Normal", however, out of sport mode is for cruising the boulevard.

DieInterim

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Many thanks for your most helpful replies - I at least know that I am not experiencing anything peculiar to 'my' car and that there are remedies available - albeit, possibly at a price, if not covered by a recall remedy re the firmware.

Thank you most sincerely for your comments and advice I shall check them out and rectify appropriately, hopefully without too much expense.

On the plus side, I love the car - as a child, all the childrens comics featured either Jaguar cars ( D & E-Types ) or Spitfire Fighter Aircraft. Well after 40 years I have my Jag - anyone got a spare Spitfire lying around.

Regards John

Reply to
John Settle